News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions for parts supplier?

Started by CK1, May 06, 2014, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK1

Hey guys,

Kind of a stupid question, but what is your preferred supplier and why?  I have about half a dozen partially done pedals sitting here (a couple compressors, an Uproar, a Boneyard, and a few others) that I haven't gotten to work on for a couple years due to life stuff going on.  I went through my available components and will need to place a reasonable-sized order to get everything to finish them (including enclosures, switches, etc.).  I'd prefer to get everything from one supplier, if possible.  I've ordered from Mouser in the past, and at least once from Mammoth.  Good experiences from both, but thought I'd just toss this out there to see what everyone prefers before I make my next order.  Tayda hasn't gotten much on here love due to quality of some of their stuff, though I have no experience with them. 

Anyway, thanks for any and all thoughts!

jubal81

I'm down to pretty much just two - Mouser and Smallbear. Between the two, I can get anything I need and I completely trust that what I'm getting are genuine, quality parts. I use Smallbear for Pots, knobs, switches, germaniums, wire, enclosures and specialty bits - Mouser for everything else.

However, if I want a great powdercoated enclosure, I'll make an order at Pedal Parts Plus.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mattlee0037

I've found a lot of what I need between Paul's place (chromesphere) and smallbear. I used to use mouser but for 1 or 2 caps or resistors per value Paul is much cheaper. Although when I do a real part stockup it'll be with mouser

Haberdasher

mouser and smallbear are the best, but i also like newark sometimes.

i confess i do buy parts from tayda too.  learn what to avoid & it's not that bad.  if you build prototypes and go through lots of parts, 1 penny resistors are nice.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

flanagan0718

Being kind of a newbie this is my "what to buy where"

Chromesphere (on this forum)
-Caps (Panasonic film, Box film, and Elecro)
-Resistors (all kinds)
-ICs (some hard to find ones)
-DC Jacks
-Wire

Bitcheslovemyswitches (BLMS)
-Jacks (1/4 and DC)
-Enclosures
-All switches
-And BITCHIN stickers!

Tayda
-Pots
-Box film caps
-Common ICs (TL072, PT2399, most other opamps)
-Enclosures
-Resistors (if absolutley needed)
-LEDs
-Transistors

I tend to look for group buys here and I am still testing the waters with other suppliers. Pedal Parts Plus is realy great just a little pricey (for small parts, great on enclosures). Paul is awesome (Chromesphere)! I have never used any of the BIG ones, Mouser, Newark, Digikey, Newark, etc but people seem to have good luck with them. 

CK1

These are really great answers, guys, thanks!  I had looked at Paul's store months ago, but wasn't sure if he carried what I would need.  Worth another look, now that I know what I'm wanting to build.  I'll definitely run with a few of these ideas and let you know if I have other questions.  Thanks again!

jkokura

The only place not mentioned is Pedal Parts Plus, the primo enclosure supplier.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Smallbear: Germanium transistors, old components, certain specialty ICs (like the TAPLFO), FETs (the only place I get these now), ceramic capacitors (they're 5%, and cheaper than mouser for small numbers), 200-count bags of resistors (again, cheaper than Mouser for Xicon), potentiometers (16mm, 12mm [!], and 9mm), hookup wire (their 22G and 24G stranded is just awesome), heatshrink, vactrols and LDRs, some caps (theirs are all good but they're sometimes expensive), some random components that no one else reliably carries, toggles, 2PDT Alpha stomp switches, Switchcraft 1/4" jacks, low-profile 1/4" jacks, "mini" DC jacks, knobs, knobs, and more knobs (their knobs are better than anywhere else I've found). Probably a few things I'm forgetting ...

Pedal Parts Plus: Enclosures. Theirs are the best AFAIC! 1/8W resistors sometimes -- they're 10c each in quantities of 10, so slightly cheaper than Mouser in some instances (especially if you only need a few common values).

Mouser: Capacitors (mostly Panasonic and Nichicon electrolytics and Kemet poly caps), resistors, charge pumps, most silicon transistors in numbers greater than 10, many op amps, H11F1, Bourns 9mm pots when Smallbear is out of certain values, and a lot of other random components that are tough to find elsewhere.

Tayda: LEDs, LED bezels, trim pots, resistors that I don't need 200 of, some poly caps in weird values that for some reason only Tayda carries at a reasonable price, a limited range of transistors, perfboard, SPST soft touch momentary switches, and some tantalum capacitors.

BLMS: 3PDTs, DC jacks, and toggle switches.

I basically order on a rotating basis from these four places, and sometimes I'll overpay for a component if I'm not low on all the stuff I get from a certain supplier. I've gotten pretty good at anticipating how much of anything I need to last a few months.

CK1

This info is great, and might be worth creating a "sticky" post for it, since I can't be the only one asking these questions.  Thanks guys!

midwayfair

Quote from: CK1 on May 07, 2014, 03:41:14 PM
This info is great, and might be worth creating a "sticky" post for it, since I can't be the only one asking these questions.  Thanks guys!

Well, there are some supplier links at the top in the "Home / Help /Search ..." line. I'd say that's pretty well stickied!

CK1

Oh yeah, I didn't mean the links.  I meant more the "I prefer to get part x from this supplier because..." responses that were given.  That's of way more use to the novice or beginner than most of the better builders probably realize.  ;)

CK1

Also, for the guys that do buy from Tayda, what is on your "avoid list" that you won't buy from them?

muddyfox

1n34a tops my list of tayda no-no's.

sent from my mobile device

midwayfair

Quote from: CK1 on May 07, 2014, 04:12:08 PM
Also, for the guys that do buy from Tayda, what is on your "avoid list" that you won't buy from them?

There's at least two threads recently about this. Multiple pages. Just do a search for Tayda.

CK1

Quote from: midwayfair on May 07, 2014, 04:43:23 PM
Quote from: CK1 on May 07, 2014, 04:12:08 PM

There's at least two threads recently about this. Multiple pages. Just do a search for Tayda.

Didn't look before I posted, sorry!
Here's one of them, for anyone else interested:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=14520.0