News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Over Dose - Shout out to The Mule

Started by TNblueshawk, October 20, 2011, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Oh man, that is too cool. I first learned of Warren through the Allman Bros back in the late 90's and immediately knew this dude had "it". I will make sure I go if he flies through Nashville..hope I didn't miss him. I think I need to check it out.

+1 on his acoustic stuff. I have the Live at Bonnaroo which is killer as well. His blues slide on acoustic is ridiculous too.

My work blocks that interview so I'll check it out later.

Great info man, thanks.

John

bigmufffuzzwizz

That finish is so unreal! Is it supposed to be scratch resistant too?
I went to a Dead show a few years back and Warren Haynes was playing guitar. First time I heard of him and got turned onto to Gov. Mule after that. I'm pretty amazed how he is filling in for AB and GD. Takes much talent!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TNblueshawk

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on October 24, 2011, 11:58:30 PM
That finish is so unreal! Is it supposed to be scratch resistant too?
I went to a Dead show a few years back and Warren Haynes was playing guitar. First time I heard of him and got turned onto to Gov. Mule after that. I'm pretty amazed how he is filling in for AB and GD. Takes much talent!

No, unfortunately, it scatches like anything else. Know how I know? When my wrench slipped while tightening a nut  >:(

What you can do with it is repour if it got banged up enough. Comes back to life clear and see through...of course you get a pretty thick coat.

Also, if it gets compressed, maybe something setting on it, it will eventually spring back to life. It is "pliant" in that sense. May take a day or two.
John

irmcdermott

I've poured Envirotex on 2 pedals now and it's great. I've followed the directions on how to use the torch to get bubbles out after 5 minutes, but it hasn't worked at all. Tips?

jimmybjj

Quote from: irmcdermott on October 29, 2011, 12:55:05 AM
I've poured Envirotex on 2 pedals now and it's great. I've followed the directions on how to use the torch to get bubbles out after 5 minutes, but it hasn't worked at all. Tips?

I didn't have much success with the torch(i keep getting carbon burn marks), i had better luck with hot breath as soon as its poured. The last couple i did i used a heat gun, it popped all the bubbles and helped get all of the excess epoxy off.
Pcbs no longer available

irmcdermott

Quote from: jimmybjj on October 29, 2011, 01:11:36 AM
I didn't have much success with the torch(i keep getting carbon burn marks), i had better luck with hot breath as soon as its poured. The last couple i did i used a heat gun, it popped all the bubbles and helped get all of the excess epoxy off.

The burn marks are exactly what I'm getting... no matter how far away (while still being effective), or how fast I "sweep" it I get burns. I've even turned my torch down as low as it will go without shutting off and still no luck.

I don't own a heat gun, but maybe I'll commandeer my wife's blow dryer when she isn't looking the next time I pour an enclosure.

I'm liking this stuff though, just need to get the procedure down. Thanks for the tips Jim.

jimmybjj

Quote from: irmcdermott on October 29, 2011, 01:46:54 AM

The burn marks are exactly what I'm getting... no matter how far away (while still being effective), or how fast I "sweep" it I get burns. I've even turned my torch down as low as it will go without shutting off and still no luck.

I don't own a heat gun, but maybe I'll commandeer my wife's blow dryer when she isn't looking the next time I pour an enclosure.

I'm liking this stuff though, just need to get the procedure down. Thanks for the tips Jim.

No problem :) For this application i think a hair dry works better, the heat gets super hot fast. Just be careful about messing up your paint or decal with the heat. The envirotex is a awesome finish but is a pain in the rear, takes lots of patience.
Pcbs no longer available

irmcdermott

Quote from: jimmybjj on October 29, 2011, 01:52:27 AM
No problem :) For this application i think a hair dry works better, the heat gets super hot fast. Just be careful about messing up your paint or decal with the heat. The envirotex is a awesome finish but is a pain in the rear, takes lots of patience.

Yeah, it does take a lot of patience. I'm looking forward to getting better with this stuff, because I really like the final product.

TNblueshawk

Dang, I can't think of why you are getting the burn marks  :-\

I have get them. I start using the torch about a minute into it. Then as I repour the sides I'll use it again right away. I keep the flame pretty high. I assume you guys are using the std propane torch you would use say for soldering copper pipes. I hold it about 9" or so I guess and never lay on any one spot. I sweep it pretty quick. After just a few minutes I don't get any more bubbles unless I pour more over it.

Wish I could offer more suggestions guys.
John