News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transparent, Gritty, Fizzy, Smooth (TGP Dummies)

Started by playpunk, March 17, 2015, 08:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Being from Yorkshire I can describe anything using a maximum of two words; 'shite' or 'not shite'. ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on March 18, 2015, 09:52:25 PM
Being from Yorkshire I can describe anything using a maximum of two words; 'shite' or 'not shite'. ;)

You could break it down a bit more with "Not so shite" and "Could be shiteier" lol

pickdropper

I truly believe you should start a talent show called "shite or not shite."  I would watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on March 18, 2015, 10:02:52 PM

I truly believe you should start a talent show called "shite or not shite."  I would watch it.

It'd be short. Imagine the pace of it with a panel of flat cap wearing maungy bastards.

Contestant1: I'd like to sing a song #Somewheeeeere....#
Judge1: Shite, next
Contestant2: I'm going to juggle these...
Contestant3: I'm have a performing animal...
Judge1: Shite. What a load of bollocks. Pub?
Judge2&3 (in unison): Pub.
Contestant4: Hello...?

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on March 18, 2015, 10:08:28 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 18, 2015, 10:02:52 PM

It'd be short. Imagine the pace of it with a panel of flat cap wearing maungy bastards.

Contestant1: I'd like to sing a song #Somewheeeeere....#
Contestant2: I'm going to juggle these...
Contestant3: I'm have a performing animal...
Judge1: Shite. What a load of bollocks. Pub?
Judge2&3 (in unison): Pub.
Contestant4: Hello...?

Then the judging continues at the Pub.  The show could go in the wee hours of the night until the judges were completely pissed. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

This is actually true. The amount of things deemed shite by me and Cleggy down the pub is quite large.

mgwhit

Based on my knowledge of EPL football, I thought it was either "brilliant" or "rubbish".

dont-tase-me-bro

I had the treble mod done.  It's very subtle, and not detectable by the human ear.  But if you have some really expensive test equipment, it totally shows up.
I thought this would save me money.

midwayfair

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on March 19, 2015, 02:12:29 AM
I had the treble mod done.  It's very subtle, and not detectable by the human ear expensive test equipment.  But if you have some really expensive test equipment golden ears, it totally shows up.

You wrote this wrong for TGP. I fixed it.

culturejam

^^ It's not so much the *sound* as it is the *feel*.   (<< that's my favorite punt after a long argument)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Muadzin

So..... if I skim through these TGP threads very quickly it seems to boil down to this, people asking for advice on what is a very subjective thing (recommend me something you guys like) using empty subjective terms that can mean absolutely everything.

Might as well have asked for a list of OD pedals and then used them to look them up on youtube. Sure, it will sound shitty and compressed at times, but it will still be a lot more useful.

The Gear Page, always good for a facepalm, shits and giggles.

mgwhit

I do wish we had a more agreed upon vocabulary for this sort of thing, though.  I know someone mentioned earlier that "transparent" is just false -- it is, yes, but I was under the impression that we used it to mean "no Tube Screamer-style mids hump" or "no significant EQ change other than the added harmonics you would expect from an overdrive".

Gritty, fizzy, smooth -- I would like to think that those are terms we can agree on.  You know them when you hear them, right?  But do we have further terms that can define them so that we know we mean the same thing?  Is it the quality of the distortion or a function of the EQ or both?

Compressed, again, I think most of us know what this means and can explain that we are talking about the dynamic range: soft sounds made louder and vice versa, added sustain, etc.  But that got me thinking about "touch-sensitive".  Is touch-sensative the opposite of compressed because your dynamics are preserved?  Or does compression add touch-sensitivity because it amplifies the subtleties of your playing?

Organic?  Well, at least the other terms are trying to describe something.  Organic always struck me as the ultimate b.s. term.  You can say it and no one will challenge you, because by saying it you are showing that you understand the subtleties of tone at a level that dwarfs those who don't know what you mean by it.  Even if it means "doesn't obscure the original sound of the guitar and amp", which is the only definition I'm willing to entertain, there has to be a better word for that.

Just thinking out loud.  We should have a common vocabulary to discuss tone -- not everything about sound is subjective.  What terms can we agree on?

playpunk

I think the most valuable analysis I've heard on how things sound involves discrete and specific areas of playing. I.e. a drive's note decay, or attack, and clipping characteristics. Other than that, I think that "transparent" "organic" and "touch sensitive" are not very good descriptive words for guitar effects.

I love when people say they will "wait for the pete thorn/mike hermans demo" to see how whatever pedal sounds. Those guys are both such killer players that everything they play with sounds good. I would buy more pedals from pro guitar shop or whatever if the pedal could make me play like either one of them.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pryde

Quote from: playpunk on March 19, 2015, 03:38:36 PM
I think the most valuable analysis I've heard on how things sound involves discrete and specific areas of playing. I.e. a drive's note decay, or attack, and clipping characteristics. Other than that, I think that "transparent" "organic" and "touch sensitive" are not very good descriptive words for guitar effects.

I love when people say they will "wait for the pete thorn/mike hermans demo" to see how whatever pedal sounds. Those guys are both such killer players that everything they play with sounds good. I would buy more pedals from pro guitar shop or whatever if the pedal could make me play like either one of them.

True. No matter what pedal I buy or build it never seems to sound like the one Andy is playing from PGS  8)

alanp

Quote from: mgwhit on March 19, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
Gritty, fizzy, smooth -- I would like to think that those are terms we can agree on.  You know them when you hear them, right?  But do we have further terms that can define them so that we know we mean the same thing?  Is it the quality of the distortion or a function of the EQ or both?

Gritty == Tom Waits

Fizzy == Bonnie Tyler

Smooth == Tarja Turunen
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website