News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etiquette - Build Report On Another's "Redacted" Schematic?

Started by Jobu, January 23, 2024, 04:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobu

Greetings,

I have a general question on DIY pedal/forum etiquette here. I'm wondering if it is poor form to post a build report based on someone else's homebrewed schematic, if said schematic has been removed from where it originated? Obviously, I would give full credit where credit is due.

There are two separate schematics in question here, and I don't know why either are not available in their respective threads anymore. I've tried wayback machine, etc, so it seems like some level of intention to remove was present (not just broken links/images), plus maybe the nature of a dusty old thread added on top. But I am not 100% certain, both threads are not exactly easy to follow in general either (a lot of evolution, multiple thread locations). Are there reasons a schematic would get wiped from a forum thread I might not know about?

I'm interested in sharing my build report because I'm quite proud of it. It took me a good amount of time to put together the leftover pieces and crumbs I could gather from those threads to make what I think are close to exact versions of the original ideas. Also, if I did a good job with my write-up I think it would be a useful addition to concisely present some super cool but convoluted ideas.

Thoughts please? Maybe the answer is I'm the only person who cares just because I spent so much time on this project  ;D

Cheers!

blearyeyes

A lot of times images posted are a link to another server. If someone deletes it from their server or lets their site go down the pictures disappear   

lars

I think it's fine, especially if the schematic was originally posted with Photobucket. Photobucket seemed determined to wipe half the Internet of information a few years back, and it's still very common to come across threads where 90% of the content is missing due to broken links. Copyright issues really aren't a factor either, just look at how the Klon was de-gooped and plastered all over the guitar world (I don't think there's a single major company that doesn't make a Klon clone, despite the fact it was obvious Bill Fennegan didn't want it copied).

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jobu