News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help needed please. How to wire an A/B switcher using TRS jacks.

Started by Guybrush, January 22, 2024, 10:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey all.

I'm looking to build an A/B switcher with 3 TRS jacks, so I can connect one effect pedal to two expression devices and switch between which one controls the pedal via a foot switch.

I've built heaps of pedals in the past but usually work from kits so just hoping someone here can help me with how to wire it all together. I've found examples on Beavis Audio but they only show mono jack sockets which unfortunately won't work for my needs.

I won't be needing an LED so just need help connecting the 3pdt and the three jacks as per the image.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Fixed the mistake in the image as per Brian's message below

madbean

I got a little thrown off by your labeling. You are switching between two expression devices and outputting the selected one to your effect, correct? In that case, you have two ins and one out not the other way around. Or did I misunderstand?

mauman

Guybrush

Quote from: madbean on January 22, 2024, 11:34:30 PM
I got a little thrown off by your labeling. You are switching between two expression devices and outputting the selected one to your effect, correct? In that case, you have two ins and one out not the other way around. Or did I misunderstand?

Ahh, you're right. I've been out of the game a little while and I'm rusty. Thanks for spotting the error.

I've corrected the image in my original post.

mauman

madbean

You can just wire the sleeves together. No need to send them to the switch.

Guybrush

Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2024, 01:20:47 PM

Ahh ok, thanks.

Like this then? Does the switch not need a ground connection at all?

madbean

Quote from: Guybrush on January 23, 2024, 02:04:47 PM
Quote from: madbean on January 23, 2024, 01:20:47 PM

Ahh ok, thanks.

Like this then? Does the switch not need a ground connection at all?

No, it shouldn't. So long as the sleeves are connected then you have ground all the way through to the effect.

Guybrush