News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mutilating a Porkbarrel

Started by DutchMF, February 28, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Now, before anyone starts about the rules for getting tech help, I need some pointers before I can give the required info...... Please read on!

I've built up a Porkbarrel with a load of mods. I put Brian's depth-mod on a switch, reintroduced the vibe switch and the mix pot and put 2 rate pots on a switch. It's an MN3207 version by the way. I did the two rate pot thing by attaching lugs 2 and 3 to a 3PDT switch, keeping both lugs 1 connected at all times and using the last pole of the 3PDT to switch a bi-colour LED. Everything works! Depth-mod on the switch is ok, mix pot works, but I don't like it to much, vibe switch works and I like it a lot, and even the 2 rate pots work, including the bi-colour LED! Why the hell is he posting a tech help thread then, you ask?

Noise!!!! A whole lot of incredibly huge, annoying clock noise!! So much actually, I didn't need to strum my guitar to check that all those mods were working....  ???

What, and where should I measure, to get an idea of what is wrong? I specifically built up this MN3207 to test these mods, so I could use them problem free in an MN 3007 version... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

DutchMF

jkokura

I got lots of clock noise, then I figured out that adjusting wires made it quieter or louder.

Try moving your wiring around and seeing if that does anything. I was able to eliminate all audible noise by rerouting wiring in a different pattern. Particularly with the pots.

Going to board mounted pots makes a big difference in eliminating noise.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Thanx Jacob! I'll remove as much of the wiring as possible, but since I actually want to switch pots, I'm stuck to wiring at least the rate pot(s). I'll post some pic's of my prototype tomorrow, just for shits and giggles.....

Paul

jkokura

In case you missed it, what I was suggesting was that the routing of the wires themselves may be the issue, as in their location. Move your wires around and see if it helps or not.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

I got what you meant Jacob, but since there isn't much wiring (this was meant as a prototype to test the mods, so I mounted all the pots and switches on the component side, sticking up in the air, input and output wire in a straight line away from the board to the testing rig) I think removal is the only option... Sadly I don't have time to mess with it today, as I promised my wife to take her to Amsterdam today (which is fun, don't get me wrong....  ;)) I'll experiment some tomorrow and report back.

Paul

bigmufffuzzwizz

IMO this circuit needs that depth mod (c18 47pf) hardwired. It sounds kinda thin without it, so I just bumped that value up to 100pf and left it alone. In conjunction with MB's Led indicator depth mod I get so much warble! Also if you don't like the speed parameters on the rate knob adjust c20. 10/22nf will be super fast, 100nf will be normal and 220 will get you slow range territory.
As for the noise i don't have much of a solution besides trying to trace where its coming from.. :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

claytushaywood

I know this is an oldy- but im currently in a pork barrel build...

curious what youre referring to with the c18 47pf mod...?

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 04, 2013, 05:37:24 PM
IMO this circuit needs that depth mod (c18 47pf) hardwired. It sounds kinda thin without it, so I just bumped that value up to 100pf and left it alone. In conjunction with MB's Led indicator depth mod I get so much warble! Also if you don't like the speed parameters on the rate knob adjust c20. 10/22nf will be super fast, 100nf will be normal and 220 will get you slow range territory.
As for the noise i don't have much of a solution besides trying to trace where its coming from.. :)