News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thunder Bean

Started by DutchMF, March 31, 2013, 06:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Here's my entry for the March comp: Thunder Bean!!!

This actually turned out just as I thought it would.... I'm just really curious how it's going to sound into my main rig  ;) Box was made by Rej from GrindCustoms, looks really cool if I say so myself! Originally, I wanted to submit another build for this months comp, but I really messed up the finish I planned for it, and the boxing part also had a few hickups (rocking before boxing went without a hitch...  ::)). So, when this box arrived in the mail, the only thing between me and entering this months comp was the wiring job from hell!!! Hope you all like this....

Paul

*EDIT: Just saw that I posted a gut shot sans IC, diodes or transistors, this will be rectified tomorrow....*
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jprizz

I really like the finish on this one. I think it fits your Bean quite well.

hammerheadmusicman

ThunderBean!

How does it sound with nothing in the sockets? ;)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 31, 2013, 09:48:58 PM

Real good actually, as you can't hear my crappy playing......  :D

jimilee

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on March 31, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
ThunderBean!

So I finished up 3 pedals in the last several days and again I forgot to load up the IC's before testing. I will ALWAYS do that!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

'WHY DOESN'T IT WORK ARRGGGHHH!!'

'Oh..'

Same old story!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

Well, I had that happen to me before...... ::) But not on this one, I just posted one of my 'build in progress' pics. Here's the proper gut shot:

Paul

midwayfair

You used two different Ge in the clipping section -- are they different enough to warrant the switch?

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on April 01, 2013, 12:41:45 PM
You used two different Ge in the clipping section -- are they different enough to warrant the switch?

You're completely right Jon! Two reasons: I had to rush to get this finished in time for the March deadline, so I grabbed the first thing I could find (well, the OA95's were planned, the BAT46's not so much....) and second, I only have a really crappy amp here at home..... Next time in the rehearsal space, when I get some time with my Marshall, there will be much diode, IC and transistor experimenting.

On a side note: this was the first and the last time I'm going to try and do a build specifically for the competition. The waiting for parts, last minute screw-ups and replacement entries are to frustrating IMO. But I'll enjoy the fantastic entries anyway!

Paul