News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2024 outlook

Started by madbean, January 23, 2024, 01:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hirti

Awesome, excited for this! Will there be an option to build some of these into 125B enclosures with top jacks?

madbean

Quote from: Hirti on February 04, 2024, 02:02:07 PM
Awesome, excited for this! Will there be an option to build some of these into 125B enclosures with top jacks?

Not for the Standard Series. Those are designed specifically for the 1590B. Some of the might be able to go in a 125B with top jacks, but a number of the designs have electrolytic caps near the top edge of the board so top jacks won't fit.

But, one cool thing about them is they will be easy to fit as dual pedals in a 1590BB. So, if you want to build a dual out of any of them they should fit perfectly. I may design an optional bypass board just for that, too. Just haven't done that yet.

jessenator

Quote from: madbean on February 04, 2024, 11:57:02 PM
But, one cool thing about them is they will be easy to fit as dual pedals in a 1590BB. So, if you want to build a dual out of any of them they should fit perfectly. I may design an optional bypass board just for that, too. Just haven't done that yet.
This is the hot sh*t, right here

madbean

Actually, 125BB with top jacks for the duals, I think. Might be possible to do 1590BB with side jacks but then the bypass switches have to be moved close together. With 125BB everything lines up just right.

BricksnBeatles

Quote from: madbean on February 05, 2024, 12:34:39 AM
Actually, 125BB with top jacks for the duals, I think. Might be possible to do 1590BB with side jacks but then the bypass switches have to be moved close together. With 125BB everything lines up just right.
What about 1590BB2? Does the extra height help top jacks much for how you're planning it?
With the double bypass switch, how about an order switch between the two footswitches too?

madbean

Quote from: BricksnBeatles on February 05, 2024, 02:04:40 AM
What about 1590BB2? Does the extra height help top jacks much for how you're planning it?
With the double bypass switch, how about an order switch between the two footswitches too?

I don't think Tayda carries the 125BB so maybe the 1590BB2 is the alternate choice. Perhaps the 1590BB itself is possible with the Lumberg jacks turned sideways. I'll need to check into all that.

I think the order switch thing would work out pretty well. But, it is a bit of a pain to bypass if you don't want to use it.

jessenator

I was going over the height specs for the Archibald with a friend, and here are the two compared height-wise for the Archibald's breakout board:

This is the 125BB, a.k.a. the 1590BBS

And the 1590BB2

jessenator

Maybe I'm off the mark here with my interpretation of the want.desire/ask, so take this with a grain of salt.

This is a worst case scenario in the 1590BB2; board/component height based on 90* PC pin pot mounting; jack drilling on max spacing without hitting the inner part of the lid

6x11mm caps in blue
lumberg KLBM-3 jacks

1590BBS / 125BB with 90* rotation on the jacks

I think it'll depend on the population.

edit: fixed 1590BBS image to account for lid collision

Bio77

Quote from: madbean on February 05, 2024, 03:15:38 PM
Quote from: BricksnBeatles on February 05, 2024, 02:04:40 AM

I don't think Tayda carries the 125BB so maybe the 1590BB2 is the alternate choice. Perhaps the 1590BB itself is possible with the Lumberg jacks turned sideways. I'll need to check into all that.

I think the order switch thing would work out pretty well. But, it is a bit of a pain to bypass if you don't want to use it.
Maybe a slide switch would be better?  I've never played an order switcher live, not sure if it's something useful for a part of a song.

BricksnBeatles

Quote from: madbean on February 05, 2024, 03:15:38 PM

Just three jumpers, right?

jimilee

Isn't a 1590xx about the same size as a 125bb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on February 05, 2024, 08:04:03 PM
Isn't a 1590xx about the same size as a 125bb?

A bit bigger in width and length, but not quite as tall. The 1590BBS is the 1:1 for the 125BB on this collection.

madbean

Quote from: jessenator on February 05, 2024, 04:55:00 PM
Maybe I'm off the mark here with my interpretation of the want.desire/ask, so take this with a grain of salt.

This is a worst case scenario in the 1590BB2; board/component height based on 90* PC pin pot mounting; jack drilling on max spacing without hitting the inner part of the lid

6x11mm caps in blue
lumberg KLBM-3 jacks

1590BBS / 125BB with 90* rotation on the jacks

I think it'll depend on the population.

edit: fixed 1590BBS image to account for lid collision

I don't think any of the projects have that configuration for electrolytic caps so I don't think that will be a big problem. The space around the 9v connection is usually pretty clear. But, I'll check again with the upcoming releases and also keep that in mind for all the future ones.

Aentons

Just curious if there is any reasoning behind designing the standard series exclusively for the 1590b rather than both it and 125b? Some folks seem a tad hung up on top jacks.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on February 09, 2024, 01:41:06 AM
Just curious if there is any reasoning behind designing the standard series exclusively for the 1590b rather than both it and 125b? Some folks seem a tad hung up on top jacks.

A number of the circuits I'm working on for the series simply won't fit in both configurations. Some would, for sure. But then they wouldn't be "standardized" for one pre-defined hardware layout. I've got a pretty big hunch that when folks start building some of these projects they'll find them easy and enjoyable. At least, I hope so because I put in a tremendous amount of thought and planning into them, haha.