News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rub-a-Dub "Vintage" Reverb

Started by pryde, June 13, 2012, 08:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

THanks to Josh (gtr2) for a great reverb project and pcb. Perfect fit for a 1590b (sans battery). One could probably work a battery into a 1590b with some very tight measuring but I did not want to bother.

I went for a very basic layout with a faux-vintage vibe. The chicken head does not have a set screw and it is not the best fit. I will order a proper chicken head next order. I used the short decay brick and glad I did. If you are looking for a snappy spring type reverb then use the short brick. Sounds just great with my little vox and a strat or tele.

chordball

Looks great! I'm about to start building one with the short brick as well. Hopefully I get my parts in before the weekend.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

whitebread47

Nice!  Glad to hear that about the short brick.  I thought I had ordered a long brick from Smallbear, but accidentally bought a short.  All this means really is that I now need to make 2 of them.  ;D
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

I've got both short and long. The difference isn't that massive. Short brick decay time is 2 sec, long is 2.85 sec (med is 2.5). It's noticeable, but not as massive as you might expect. Long sounds a fraction bigger, short a little tighter. I think I'm going to label them room and hall on my pedal.

However short into long creates a really nice effect... It goes cavernous with an shimmering edge of modulation. I really quite like it and why mine with be a Dual RaDverb ;)

When I get around to boxing it all up in a couple of weeks or so...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pryde

Quote from: juansolo on June 14, 2012, 06:01:36 AM
However short into long creates a really nice effect... It goes cavernous with an shimmering edge of modulation. I really quite like it and why mine with be a Dual RaDverb ;)

Cool. I like the idea of a dual reverb. I was going to maybe build a long brick version for a cavernous verb but I like your idea of a dually that can do both! So in your setup can run em independently as well as together?

juansolo

Quote from: pryde on June 14, 2012, 07:56:21 PM
Quote from: juansolo on June 14, 2012, 06:01:36 AM

Cool. I like the idea of a dual reverb. I was going to maybe build a long brick version for a cavernous verb but I like your idea of a dually that can do both! So in your setup can run em independently as well as together?

Yep, haven't completely decided yet how I'm going to switch them. I like them in series (we tried parallel, it wasn't as good), short into long. Most sensible way is to just have a stomp on each, so you can get 3 different sounds from it without messing around. However we've found it's so quiet that if you wanted to, you could run one directly into the other, go single stomp and just use the pots to dial in one, the other or both.

I'll probably go twin stomps. It's a surprisingly tight fit in the enclosure mind you (the two boards are in there but nothing else yet). I'm out of jacks and stomps at the moment so the rest will follow, shame it's going to be a few weeks as I'd like to get this one done as I really love the effect.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

aflynt

I love my dual reverb I built using the older Belton Brick. I use two medium bricks in parallel. I split the signal off of my active volume pedal and then combine them by running each into a separate channel on my Fender Showman head. The effect still has that cool tone to it, but is just more dense and lush. It sounded pretty similar when running in series, though. Maybe having dissimilar bricks just works better in series or maybe something with the different tone of the 2 channels fattens it up with my rig.

-Aaron

LaceSensor

Nicely done. I think this is a really nice project, simple and cheap reverb which sounds nice

Jurassic

Beautiful build! Nice graphics and layout.. works nicely with the chicken head knob!

nzCdog

Class.  Nice looking pedal, inside and out