News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I think I finally found a circuit I don't want to put in a box ...

Started by midwayfair, September 16, 2012, 01:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

And it's the Green Ringer. Blech. How can the guy who created my favorite, always-on pedal have created this thing?

I'm actually somewhat amused by how absolutely horrendous it is. The wife is less amused. :P

Oh well. At least I have a low rider! :D

jkokura

HAHAHAHAHA...

That's funny, because it's literally the easiest circuit to get into a 1590a...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

midwayfair

Quote from: jtn191 on September 16, 2012, 02:00:56 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 16, 2012, 01:53:15 AM
How can the guy who created my favorite, always-on pedal have created this thing?

Orange Squeezer?

You got it. :)

Jacob: It's pretty small for sure. Having no pots is awesomesauce.

At least I'm only out like $2 in parts, if that. Maybe I'll use it on a noise recording.

slimtriggers

I actually like the Green Ringer.   I like that nasty octave up sound, but I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone :D

greyscales

Has anybody tried a GR in tandem with an octave fuzz?
I can't help but be intrigued by the thought.

lincolnic

I have a Green Ringer following a Tonepad Blue Box, and it's super fun. It actually helps brighten up the Blue Box quite a bit.

Vallhagen

Quote from: midwayfair on September 16, 2012, 01:53:15 AM

I'm actually somewhat amused by how absolutely horrendous it is. The wife is less amused. :P

;D

... i actually think its a fun circuit. but i definately agree that its very limited. I would say that its basically just one octave (D string, 12th fret, to B string, 15th fret), where it is really usable.

And... i happen to have it in the same enclosure as the orange thing... so i carry it with me:) ... but when i want that octave sound, i do stomp the Low Rider more often.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

midwayfair

Quote from: Vallhagen on September 17, 2012, 02:12:49 PM
... i actually think its a fun circuit. but i definately agree that its very limited. I would say that its basically just one octave (D string, 12th fret, to B string, 15th fret), where it is really usable.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I found.

To be fair, I did find a couple other interesting sounds elsewhere on the neck (sitar type stuff as shown in some demos online), but it's really hard for me to imagine anyone using this thing for more than 15 seconds in a 1-hour set.

Given that it works best with the tone knob rolled all the way off on the guitar, I'm very, very surprised that no one's ever added a TONE attack control to this pedal (not that I've seen, anyway). Just a 250K pot with a 22n cap to ground at the input. That would keep you from needing to roll off the tone before stomping on the pedal. Seems like it would be far more useful than a volume control (and it provides a little of that, too).

Vallhagen

Quote from: midwayfair on September 17, 2012, 02:18:49 PM
... more than 15 seconds in a 1-hour set.

;D

Hard to argue on that. Except the fact that 15 seconds is - after all - more than... say ... 7 seconds?
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Om_Audio

Let's hear it!
Personally, I love ring modulators, but you have to set them just right and be into that sort of sound. With the right settings/combo I love em. But even then it is not something you have turned on often or for long periods of time. I am currently using a Line6 MM4 for trem/phase/ring modulator. I love the options and such but I am really pining for the day I replace it with home made baby builds. :)
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

midwayfair

Quote from: Om_Audio on September 18, 2012, 07:07:35 PM
Let's hear it!
Personally, I love ring modulators, but you have to set them just right and be into that sort of sound. With the right settings/combo I love em. But even then it is not something you have turned on often or for long periods of time. I am currently using a Line6 MM4 for trem/phase/ring modulator. I love the options and such but I am really pining for the day I replace it with home made baby builds. :)
C

Well, the green ringer isn't a true ring modulator. It's an octave generator, producing X^2 for the frequency. It's imperfect and sounds "bad" (to me, I realize this is a pretty meaningless term) because of the summing of harmonics. True ring modulation is a product of oscillation. And I like using ring mod on recordings as a "wtf" sound. (If anyone's curious, skip to 3:50 here, though it's a little hard to hear: http://midwayfair.bandcamp.com/)

Mine does not sound different from other demos online, and I was pretty serious about not using a box on it. And I'll box almost anything. ;)

Om_Audio

Oh my bad, I assumed it was a RM. Ya I actually don't like octave up effects. My Micro POG always has upper turned all the way down.
C

glowsheep

The green ringer was one of the first circuits I breadboarded, I didn't care for it by itself, but throw a fuzz in with it, and I liked the results. I didn't know how to match the trannies, so I was just trying out different ones until I found a combination that gave me the sound I liked.

Om_Audio

Quote from: midwayfair on September 18, 2012, 07:23:22 PM

(If anyone's curious, skip to 3:50 here, though it's a little hard to hear: http://midwayfair.bandcamp.com/)

I can't hear it- sounds like some high notes on a synth maybe- super subtle in this recording. Great sounding rec though, will have to listen to more of your band's stuff. Vox are reminiscent of Cat Stevens a bit.

Quote from: glowsheep on September 18, 2012, 07:32:56 PM
The green ringer was one of the first circuits I breadboarded, I didn't care for it by itself, but throw a fuzz in with it, and I liked the results. I didn't know how to match the trannies, so I was just trying out different ones until I found a combination that gave me the sound I liked.

glowsheep, I might still have to look into this further, sounds like my Macheen which on it's own I don't like (without changing settings entirely) but combined with other dirt pedals is fantastic.

I just learned how to insert quotes. Woot.
C