News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

lowest noise floor of muff variants?

Started by Betty Wont, June 10, 2014, 01:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Wont

I think it's finally time i dip into the muff. Can any of you muff buffs out there tell me what the quietest running variants are? Especially of the skreddy tuned versions. I'm a fuzz guy so i'm used to quiet dirt. That white hiss on distortions drives me nuts. So do noise gates. 

Muadzin

I've built a Skreddy P19 and its way quieter then some of the Triangle and Ramshead muffs I've built. I think using BC550C's instead of 2N5133's was the biggest difference, as for the rest I used the same passive components. So you might be able to quiet down any muff version in theory using more quiet transistors. It's still a noisy beast though. Then again all muffs are.

selfdestroyer

I just did a green Russian and I did notice if you use all metal film resistors and shielded cable for the input and output it will help cut some noise. A muff with the sustain maxed will always give you some noise, nature of the beast I am afraid.

Cody

Betty Wont

good call on the p19 and tranny choice. Maybe an extended question would be, what are the quietest trannies for say, the p19 &/or pig mine type? I tried a bunch 5088 & 5089s in a bee/baa and they all hissed like the ocean no matter what the hfe. Maybe mpsa18? I know i can socket and see, but I was wondering if anyone has a good starting point.

jubal81

Try using lower FV diodes - germanium/Bat46.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair