News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Orange Muff Fuzz!

Started by G.G., August 22, 2012, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

This one goes out to the Dutch Hockey team!  ;D Didn't realize how much I liked orange until today (thanks DutchMF).  This is a Muff Fuzz built on perf in a 1590G, which is sort of a mini-sized 1590B.  Turned out to be even more of a PITA than a 1590A build because the box is really shallow, open frame jacks and stomp switches just barely fit in. The Muff Fuzz turned out to be a really great sounding little circuit, tons of low end, and cleans up really well with the guitar volume. A lot different sound than the Colorsound One Knob, maybe more like a Fuzz Face but still not the same as that either. This one is stock except for a slightly smaller output cap to pull in a little more highs.

gtr2

Love this build.  It's cute, in a good way!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

greyscales

This is a great looking pedal. Love the minimal decal against the orange.

nzCdog

Nice build!  Love the vibrant colour
Thinks to self.... needz moar orange pedalz :P

GrindCustoms

Nice one and nice orange, i think we may share a similar vibe for our Muff's..hehe 8)

I builted a Random Number Generator in those enclosure, i also found it harder than a 1590A....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Nice! And congrats getting anything into the 1590G ... :)

Obviously your next pedal must be a Squeezer if you haven't already built one.

Bret608

I like the look of this box! Too bad they're on the shallow side.

Oh man, this has 2n3565s! That gets me excited already. Is CJ's Whisker Biscuit this kind of circuit?

midwayfair

Quote from: Bret608 on August 23, 2012, 02:43:44 PM
Is CJ's Whisker Biscuit this kind of circuit?

The double muff actually simpler than the Biscuit. It's a gain stage stage hitting a single muff-like distortion stage. (You could think of the big muff as two double muffs, plus a tone stack and some ancillary shaping components.)

This is the Whisker Biscuit:

runoffgroove.com/whisker.html

The biscuit replaces the clipping stages in the Big Muff Pi with a Bazz Fuss, which is a high-gain little circuit (with a darlington transistor) that nonetheless has some similarities to a Big Muff clipping stage. CJ's was an officially liscenced PCB of the ROG project.

G.G.

I looked around a little but but couldn't find anything definitive as far as a Double Muff schematic, seems like the ones I saw still had question areas. This is just a regular Muff Fuzz which actually uses 2N5133s according to the layout I used from Fuzz Central. I tried out 5088s before the 5133s came in and they worked alright but the 5133s sounded a little more unique.  It's a fun little circuit, definitely worth a build up if you want something a bit different than a Fuzz Face.

DutchMF

Again, very nice! Keep up the orange stuff and we might have to make you an honorary dutchman  ;)
What's keeping the LED in place, superglue?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

ArchDukeOfTops

great looking fuzz man.  I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

G.G.

thanks guys!

Paul - the LED is just held in place by the lead soldered to the switch lug.  It holds pretty well unless my son decides to show me how he can press it down into the enclosure  :P I should probably drop some glue on it. . .