News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Fish [Tonepad - Maestro FSH-1 Build]

Started by GhostofJohnToad, August 25, 2012, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

Finally, well kinda.  This was a tweaking nightmare and still is.  So many variables that it's hard to pin down a snapshot that I am convinced is the best iteration of components.  The sound is really good, and each op-amp transistor combo yields slightly different flavors of range, sweep, and color.

Here's what it has at the moment.

Q1(noise) = 2n3565, emitter leg not connected
Q2, Q5, Q6 = 2n5088
Q3 = 2n3906
IC1 = NE5517 in place of LM13600
IC2 = NE5532
IC3 = KIA358
IC4 - MAX1044
100k, 10k trimmers = very beneficial to use muli-turn instead of single turn.

Generally there is a bit of ticking but to me sounds more like a bass drum thump in time to the LFO.  I plan on getting some TL022 and TL062 which some have had success with for the LFO IC3.  The ticking is weird though It can be dialed out with the trimmers, but then I get a cocked wah sound that sounds thin. 

Many have stated that the noise transistor is very picky and a less than perfect tranny with high noise yields better results.  For me leaving off the middle got me fairly consistent results.  This only worked for certain types of trannies.  But when it did it did.  I'm not sure of the technical reason at this point.  Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Only thing I'd do different is make the Filter/S+H switch a footswitch.  But I had a hard time fitting it all together as is with my graphic design and fitting it all together neatly in the 1590BB. 

pickdropper

Nice looking build.  I like the graphics.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Agreed.  Looks awesome, I'd just have it on my board for show ;)
Hope you can tweakerise it to betterness :)

midwayfair

I think having the LED in the Fish's eye is worth the sacrifice of the second footswitch!

Great looking build, and I can't wait for Brian's project to be released. This is such a cool sounding effect.

You can try adding a cap around the LED (http://www.muzique.com/lab/led1.gif), or possibly a smallish resistor to ground (1K or so) -- that would make the LED blink at a softer rate, which might keep it from thumping each time it turns on. Of course, if you like the drumbeat ... :)