News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Engineer's Thumb #2 -- paging stecykmi!

Started by midwayfair, August 25, 2012, 04:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

It fits! :D

Not too long ago I posted this thread with a call to fill a box that I had already drilled ...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5790.0

stecykmi suggested the Engineer's Thumb but we both realized that the etch and my previous perfboard layout (if you can call it a layout ... that one was done pretty much on the fly from the schematic before I discovered DIY Layout Creator) were too big. Then he suggested the Dr. Quack. Well ... Nurse Quacky was on my build list, and I decided that I was still going to want to do a 1590A build for my next envelope filter, so I was determined to make a layout of the Engineer's Thumb that would fit in the box. Took a few tries and a few jumpers, but I got it pretty darned small. For anyone interested in my layout, you can view it here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97123.msg864545#msg864545

And since stecykmi used his 500th post to celebrate his victory, I had planned on using my 500th post on this build report. Instead I ended up commenting in a damn Klon thread. Sighhhhhh.

This is my second Engineer's Thumb (MerlinB's compressor). I built this one with the stock ratio pot value (1M), though I still think that anything over 500K is overkill in this circuit.

I did have to cut up the perf a little to accommodate the toggle. Obviously it would have been preferable to have the board oriented 90o ccw, so that the hookup wires were facing the right direction. :)

That was my last 1776 Effects 3PDT board. I'll probably pick up a Rub-A-Dub when I restock. I haven't had much interest in building a Reverb for guitar use, but I'm thinking of making a vocal effects board, and I like the sound of the Rub-A-Dub. I was trying to hold out for the new delay, though.

I've actually got a bunch of stuff done but not boxed. I've got a Bumblebee, Honeybee, Cupcake, and Bosstone all fighting over the two 1590A boxes I have left. Not sure I'm actually going to box up the Bosstone, though.

nzCdog

I lol'd.  So this sounds like a Klon then? ;)  Nice layout.
Is there about to be a thumb chopped in that painting?  Sux to be that guy

nzCdog

gtr2

haha

That paintings great  ;D

Yeah, unfortunately.  I'm looking at an October release for the multiplex.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stecykmi

your builds are always boss, jon. i got your pcb in the mail a couple days ago, i'll do a build report when i get it boxed up.

i also started building a perfboard nurse quacky / dr quack hybrid (taking the best features from each, attack control, input buffer, etc). i may add an output buffer too if i can fit it on the board.

midwayfair

Quote from: stecykmi on August 25, 2012, 09:40:16 PM
your builds are always boss, jon. i got your pcb in the mail a couple days ago, i'll do a build report when i get it boxed up.

i also started building a perfboard nurse quacky / dr quack hybrid (taking the best features from each, attack control, input buffer, etc). i may add an output buffer too if i can fit it on the board.

Cool, looking forward to the hybrid (and the Biscuit!). Might give me some inspiration if I haven't finished mine by then. :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)