News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wedding Gift (Culturejam Neptune content)

Started by LaceSensor, August 18, 2012, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

A friend of mine is getting married in a couple weeks.
The couple are really lovely, and its only recently I have actually become friends with them, through some links on the local music scene here.

He has been a musician for ages and ages in a few bands that had promise but never went far, but he is still writing cool music and putting out records. If you like a bit of Radiohead, check his stuff out:
http://www.thealphamachine.co.uk/

Anyway, I built a couple pedals for him on mates rates as I know he was saving for a wedding.
I also know that he is really hoping one day to get a really nice delay with some unique sounds, including modulation. So I figured why not build up one of those two Neptune boards, and add the modulation board from the AquaPuss.

The result is the following; not my tidiest work inside, but the outside I feel is pretty fitting. The crest has the wedding date on it. No idea what to get his Mrs, maybe a bottle of champagne! Or tell him to spend the money he saved buying a delay on her.

Cheers to a couple folk that offered some advice on this build. In the end I didnt go with an infinite repeats mod.

The modulation is switchable (has a red led between the speed and depth pots) it tends to reduce the overall delay time quite markedly, but thats ok, its just two modes. Longer dry echo, or shorter vibrato echos :)

For those building it 3 things:

1 - watch the orientation of the LED on the board.
2 - R20 says 10J in the build doc, its 10K. I used 10ohm, and it lead to v. low output.
3 - the pedal needs a 100k pulldown on the output to stop switch pop.

nzCdog

Sexy!  I like the look of this one a lot... I can has ideas for upcoming pedal! ;D

GrindCustoms

Wow, it looks awesome and it's really fully featured! 8)

Modulation combined with the Decay must be able of doing some nice sounds.

Never tought of that modulation board for my CJ's ultimate delay project..., thanks for the idea ;)

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

gtr2

Huh, I wish I got a cool gift like that when I got married.  Instead we got things like dishes and towels  :(

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

Just a note I made another mod, 100k resistor in parallel with the 1M photcell on the modulation board.
Was getting WAY to crazy deep. With this I can get all sorts of nice chorus in the first 1/2 of the pot, then the seasick stuff past midday.

raulduke

Really cool build dude.

And even cooler sentiment; I'm sure he'll be chuffed with it.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

LaceSensor

thanks guys

should be noted that once I added the 100k Parallel resistor to the LDR on the modulation board, the delay time stuff evened itself out, so now switching the modulation on and off doesnt alter the base level of delay time

this is a really really nice pedal and sounds almost as good as my mn3005 dirtbag
on a stage I reckon the effect would be totally passable

midwayfair

Very nice! I love the idea of the switchable modulation to go with the manual. Crazy when you need it and "normal" when you don't. Looks like I might have a reason to get in on the new group buy to make another. :D

CRBMoA

Quote from: midwayfair on August 23, 2012, 02:04:31 PM
Very nice! I love the idea of the switchable modulation to go with the manual. Crazy when you need it and "normal" when you don't. Looks like I might have a reason to get in on the new group buy to make another. :D

I still have a few left. The sign up thread is on BYOC.

Neptune Board Thread

Chris

LaceSensor

Got to gift this this evening, was awesome

ilikeguitars01

Very cool gift. I lol ed when you said not your tightiest inside.  Puts my guts to shame!