News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stripped down TB MKII

Started by JakeFuzz, November 12, 2012, 12:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

I just got a handful of old TI 2n1306's and decided that I better use some of these so my friends don't start calling me a hoarder. I've gotten many of these in the past and they always seem to be a safe bet in untouched batches. My yield usually falls in the 80-90% range. The gains were all between 70 and 140. I decided to do a Jon inspired 1590a build this time around I made a very compact Vero layout that would just fit into the enclosure. I made the attack knob a trimmer. I find that with this circuit I usually leave the attack about halfway up and control the gain with the guitars volume knob; with this pedal there is a small hole in the back plate to adjust to the position I like. To my ears the NPN's tend to have better bottom end than the PNP's and I thought it would be interesting in this circuit considering how little bottom end it usually has. The gains are Q1=70; Q2=75; Q3=110. I keep all my 1590a builds super simple looking and they are looking good when I put them all together on one board.

Om_Audio

Nice! So how does it sound? Did you get more bottom?
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

nzCdog

Love it.... thats a neat vero layout too!   8)

pickdropper

Very very cool.

I too am putting together a 1590A pedalboard.  Just haven't started on the board part of it yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JakeFuzz

Thanks Guys!

It does sound like the bottom end is a little more pronounced Cliff. I think it also helps that I swapped the output cap to 56nF but it still has more bass presence than my other OC75 MKII with a 68nF output cap. This one has incredible sustain too. Maybe a video demo if my roommate ever leaves the damn apartment  >:(

Bret608

Ha! Those pesky roomates.

I like the 2n1306s you used here. Those are the ones I found in our electronics lab where I work--I was pretty excited since the 2n1304 you sent me for my Cosmo sounded so good. I used one on my "Fuzzball" (Keeley Fuzzhead-based) board (see Ian's layout in Member Projects). It seems these things are pretty consistent. I picked one based on a very un-scientific DMM test, and didn't even think about leakage. Sounded good right away! I'm guessing it's low-ish gain but it's giving me a usable germanium drive sound. Once I get some vero and build a transistor testing board, I'll test the one I used and the 4 or five left down there.

midwayfair

Nice! 1306s are one of my favorite germs.