News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Black Forest Overdrive?

Started by pryde, February 18, 2014, 01:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricb

I'll try...

From the Cherry Bomb schematic, replace C4 with a 470pf cap, use BC109s for the transistors, and change the gain pot to a 10KB.

For the input cap, omit C1 from the board and instead do this:

Use 8.2n, 10n, 22n 47n, 220n (Coloursound stock value), and 470nf for the switch.

Ta-da! I think the rotary switch will make it too big for a 1590B, but there are tinier ones available at Smallbear and on Ebay so it might be do-able with some cramming.

muddyfox

So they don't clean their boards either... ;D

Tremster

Alright, thanks.
Might mod my Cherrybomb some time.

pryde

Cool

I will breadboard it and see what I think. I think the 6-way rotary would be overkill for me. I might try like a 10n, 22n, and 470n on a DPDT on/off/on and see how that might work out

raulduke

Good stuff. Looks like its similar to the standard overdriver then.

The colorsound overdriver is something I keep meaning to try out.

pryde

Quote from: raulduke on February 18, 2014, 11:42:40 PM
Good stuff. Looks like its similar to the standard overdriver then.

The colorsound overdriver is something I keep meaning to try out.

Yes me too. Such a classic circuit that I have never played or built  :(

dondougie

Looks like resistor wise they omitted the 33k to ground before q3 (R11 on the Cherrybomb, as long as I'm not blind. The prototype has it, though), and added an 1M pulldown and the CLR on board.

C5 & C7 are 4u7 from 10uf, and One of the 100n caps seems to be missing, I think the one across the bass pot.

Tremster

Did you breadboard this, Pryde or anyone? What are the opinions?

selfdestroyer

RESURRECTED

Just wondering if anyone came up with something that sounded pretty close to the original. I was asked about this pedal by a buddie and remembered this thread.

Cody

pryde

Quote from: Tremster on March 11, 2014, 10:40:19 AM
Did you breadboard this, Pryde or anyone? What are the opinions?

I have not had a chance unfortunately. Still interested though but its pretty busy at the moment

Tremster

Weird that this comes up now because just this weekend I got an email asking about verification of some cap values on the pedal, I came up with this:

And my answer:
Some prints on the PCB are really hard to read because they are printed above and into each other, but I'm fairly sure that everything is right now.
C7 says "104J"
C5 is also hard to read, but it's probably C5. That one is 22uF.
The electrolytic with the "?" is 100uF. It must be C12, but I really can't read it.

For resistors, I still can't read them.

It would be cool if this could be made into a BOM so that people can build a Black Forest on a CherryBomb board.

Clayford

2A822KT decoded means:

2A = 100V

822 8n2 Cap with a 10% tolerance

KT = strange...  K = +/- 10% T = -10%/+50%

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

zerosadness

I think it's possible to use guitarfxlayout vero and change few things:

- All the resistors are the same
- All the film cap are the same
- Change the cermic cap for 470pF.
- Change the input cap (220nF on the left) for the "switch capacitor"
- Change transistors for BC109
- Change 25uF for 22uF
- The only thing I don't know, it's what capacitors has to be change to the 100uF of the Black Forest. If someone can help us. (seems to be a 25uF on the layout but it's possible that is an other value, I can't see exactly where the copper line go).
- Next step, buy Black Arts Toneworks effects, because this pedals kicks ass, greats graphics and solid construction.

selfdestroyer

Here is what I came up with last night.

I am working with another Colorsound Overdriver layout since I wanted to use 5mm caps. I will post the details after I test it out.

GrindCustoms

Mark probably use the 100uf value as is standard for the power filtering section, explaining the 25uf swap.

It should'nt change nothing to the actual tone of the pedal.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/