News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New finish technique

Started by madbean, October 19, 2016, 11:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

This is something I just started so I can't recommend it yet, but it does look promising. Someone may have tried this before but I don't recall seeing it.

Leather dye on a bare, unfinished enclosure. This is just red. But, dye colors can be mixed! Took less than 10 minutes. More on this soon.

BrianS

Are you planning to put a clear coat on it? It does look pretty cool and 10 minutes to do it is fabulous.

nzCdog

This is awesome!  Be interesting to hear more about this, spraypaint is a pain

pickdropper

I wonder how laser etching would work with that
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

galaxiex

Looks very cool!  8)

Great idea, thanks for sharing!
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

madbean

So it is not fully drying. Kind of not surprising since there is probably little absorption into the metal so it sits on top. Trying a hair dryer to speed it up. It may require a clear coat to seal. More soon!

juansolo

Cure it with FIRE!

Doubt it'll work, but it'd be awesome if it did...

Fire makes everything more awesome.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

Quote from: juansolo on October 20, 2016, 07:01:18 PM
Cure it with FIRE!

Doubt it'll work, but it'd be awesome if it did...

Fire makes everything more awesome.

I tried fire to relic some Tayda stompswtich nuts like i've always done with other stainless parts ...

To be fair Alpha nuts responded the same way. Now I use gun metal bluing to age stompswitch nuts. Jack nuts- fire.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

madbean

I applied some envirotex. It changed the color a bit but also made it pop quite a bit more. But, because the dye never fully dried the sides ended up running off some of the color. So, it's not quite what I was hoping for but does look pretty cool.

I did not do any sanding or cleaning of the enclosure beforehand and that might have made a difference actually. Allow the dye to absorb more into the metal. Probably a spray clear coat would not run like the envirotex. We'll see how it looks in a couple of days after it is fully cured.

mjg

That looks beautiful - almost like it has a caramelised sugar glaze on top! 

I'm hungry now.   :P

It does look awesome though.  I'm keen to see other colours. 

madbean

One nice thing - it takes almost no dye to do a coat...even several coats. I bet an 8oz. bottle would last for 30 boxes or more. I'm using Angus Leather Dye.
One bad thing - oh boy do you gotta wear gloves. This stuff will stain your skin like no one's business.

wgc

That looks cool. Maybe it doesn't dry as much as absorb into the leather, and possibly react with some of the proteins. No idea really, just hypothe-phisizing.

But maybe a coat of shellac on the raw box before dye might give it something to sink into?
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

madbean

The shellac is a great idea, wgc. Thanks, I will try it next time.

I'm getting really impressed with this. The vibrancy of the color and texture coming through the dye is very pretty.

pickdropper

Have you ever tried the leather dye on a light colored Rosewood fretboard?  Assuming you like dark fretboards, that is.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Here's another approach- mix the dye directly into the Envirotex. This could work for etched enclosure, probably even flat painted ones for a color tint.