News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A Germanium Fuzz Face

Started by Jakes Dad, November 14, 2016, 03:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes Dad

A while back I built a Hipster 2014 with a pair of BC 108Cs that sounded pretty good but decided to mess around with it a bit.  Just for grins and goggles I stuck an AC130 in Q1 and OC141 in Q2 - SHAZAM!  Great fuzz that sustained most of the weekend.  The downside was I couldn't figure out how to close the box.  Then I looked at the Hipster 2016 and saw the trannies are side by side rather than back to back and the other tall stuff is mostly on the far side of the board so if I put C1 on the back side there was plenty of room to lay the trannies down.  Put everything in a Navy Blue Hammond 1590 A.  Board is the skinny Hipster 2016 with everything but the trannies, trimmer and stomp from Small Bear.  The trannies came from different ebay sellers - the OC141 has been in my parts stash for a couple years waiting on a home.  Fired right up after I put the AC130 back in - fell out of the socket while I was plugging everything in.  I need to play with the bias  little tomorrow night since my grandson was headed for bed as I finished up this evening.

Here's the box:

And the guts:

The Hipster 2014 is back on the board with a BC108C/BC109C pair and the bias tweaked a bit.

Chuck

Addy Bart

Boba7

Nice!
Makes me wanna build a 1590a Fuzz Face... But I don't know if I'd be able to resist adding a contour pot and a bass pot/toggle switch, and... oups
Maybe I should just build a simple one. With just a bass toggle switch :)

Timko

I've tried doing block stamping before, but it never seems to stay on long term.  What type of ink are you using?

Jakes Dad

Quote from: Timko on November 17, 2016, 10:08:22 PM
I've tried doing block stamping before, but it never seems to stay on long term.  What type of ink are you using?

Color Box Pigment Archival - but it is not very touch tolerant without a clear coat.  I've been using a satin from a home store.

Chuck

Boba7

I'd recommend Stazon ink, it works really well!