News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Temple of Syrinx 6 in 1

Started by bscur, December 24, 2016, 06:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscur

I built this 6 in 1 effect for a friend of mine to give his son for Christmas. The kid is a huge RUSH fan, so I gave him what I thought he'd need to get a good 2112 sound
- Buffer- Unicorn Breath (Modified "Centaur" Buffer) from 1776 Effects
- Boost- SHO 'NUFF (Guitar PCB version of ZVEX Super Hardon)
- Overdrive- Guitar PCB King of the British (68 Plexi)
- Chorus- Madbean Glam
- Delay- Madbean Mimik
-Reverb- Madbean Ping
I built these stock and connected them with the Guitar PCB 3PDT wiring boards. This was my first time using the switch boards and these were really handy for the multi board.

For the graphics, I powder coated the giant enclosure white white and then drilled the holes.  Next, I put on a laser waterslide decal that I designed on Gimp featuring a painting that I thought resembled a temple. The kid is a big fan of record art like Yes and Asia, so I thought this would be interesting. Finally, I applied a clear powder coat. To avoid burning the decal, I cured it in the oven many times in shorter time increments. The back of the pedal features the lyrics to The Temples of Syrinx and the 2112 RUSH art logo. I put a personalized note on the back. The wiring in the interior isn't tidy looking- I marvel at people who make theirs look so neat.
4)

Here's an idea of how huge it is- the Blue one is my Multiplex Echo, which was the previous biggest enclosure I'd used.

I was really pleased with the detail in the waterslide because I've burned some in the past.
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bscur/media/IMG_1558.jpg.html]
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bscur/media/IMG_1561.jpg.html]

[/URL]
[/URL]
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v327/bscur/IMG_1545.mp4

jubal81

Epic! Looks great and you really got it all in there!

Never saw that behemoth enclosure before. What is it?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

inktechpatrick

Epic!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

bscur

Hi, it really is huge. It is a BUD Industries CN-5714 Die Cast Aluminum Enclosure, 10-51/64" Length x 6-7/8" Width x 2-5/8" Height, Natural Finish
I got it on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T78M2W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mjg

Wow. 

I love the graphics, and the attention to details like putting lyrics on the back.  Very nice. 

That would have to be almost as big as a guitar?  Bolt a neck on it and you're ready to go. :)

jimilee

Man that thing is huge, what a great gift that is. Looks like you may have a winner for the BOTY too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Great build!

I loved the cover art in those days, brings back memories.

Btw, use a laser printed water slide, and low temp clear powder (spec'd at 325f for 10 min) and you should avoid scorching.   You can also go a little lower temp wise for longer, say  300 for 15 min, with maybe a small ramp up to 325 at the end.  Keep in mind cure time is the time the enclosure is at desired temp, not just how long it's in an oven set to desired temp.

This looks great though, so my advice is probably obvious and hopefully not offensive
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

bscur

I really do appreciate the advice. I have had to remove several coats of powder coating on previous pedals when they burned. Not fun. The trial and error is much improved with advice like yours. Thanks. Also, have you ever had problems with white labels compared to clear? I find the white ones burn faster and are more temperamental when I apply them. If only I could print in white for black or dark pedals. This one also nearly filed the toaster oven I use in the garage for powder coating pedals, so I was nervous about proximity to the heating elements.

CK1

Holy crap, that's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordo

That looks very cool. Lucky kid. Good choice on boards too. My buddy's kid took my Mimik. We sat in my basement and did a shoot out with all my delays (boxed or not) and both of us agreed it had the perfect combination of analog warmth and nice ambience. He's a Lifeson fan as well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

selfdestroyer

alanp

Damn nice looking build.

I think the only Rush albums I've heard are Roll The Bones, and Power Windows. Both very, very pop-py.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

fredwreck

Thats insanely amazing.. Great job!

pickdropper

Man, what a great gift.

The graphics look great on that.  And, for once, I have an opinion on whether or not it should have Velcro on the bottom (it shouldn't, obv).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

Quote from: bscur on December 24, 2016, 03:29:38 PM
I really do appreciate the advice. I have had to remove several coats of powder coating on previous pedals when they burned. Not fun. The trial and error is much improved with advice like yours. Thanks. Also, have you ever had problems with white labels compared to clear? I find the white ones burn faster and are more temperamental when I apply them. If only I could print in white for black or dark pedals. This one also nearly filed the toaster oven I use in the garage for powder coating pedals, so I was nervous about proximity to the heating elements.

Oh, cool- glad it's helpful. I feel the same.

I'm not afraid to make a mistake as long as I learn something that makes it go better next time, but I try to research or ask questions first too. Stripping powder coat isn't fun for sure.

Though I found something called citrus strip which seems to not do anything at first blush, but if you spray it all over the work piece, put in ziplock bag, leave overnight, you can scrape it down without too much work. Make sure you're close to room temp while it sits. Repeat if needed. Much less toxic than other products.

I haven't tried white decals. But I can see how they might scorch easier, the pigment can change things a bit.  Distance to burners will definitely make a difference too.

If I want light markings on dark, I laser etch, and backfill with acrylic paint. I realize that might be something you don't have access to, ATM I don't either.

I have a to do list item to check out a cricut machine with foil but not sure how that will work under clear powder.

There might be some laser printers that print white too, also on my do do list to see if kinkos or staples offer that service.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings