News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to make PCB's steady into the enclosure

Started by Outtagetme, June 14, 2013, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outtagetme

Hi guys,
so I'm building a madbean clone of the OCD, but I'm not using PCB-mounted pots and there's no place to drill holes for the PCB standoffs on the pcb itself.
How can I make the PCB steady into the enclosure?

M.

midwayfair

eldanko

Hot glue works nicely in certain situations as well.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on June 14, 2013, 03:46:30 PM
3M doublesided foam tape.

Or blue tack.

I use 3M as well.  Specifically, I use the VHB (high bond strength) made for plastics and metal.  It is strong as bull.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Outtagetme

So you mean that I can put some doublesided tape on the solder side of the PCB?
I was thinking about that but I wasn't sure I could do that.
Newbie question :)

Thank you!

M.

jkokura

Depends. Not the typical double sided tape, the scotch kind. It should be the kind with foam in the middle, which acts to raise the PCB up a bit as well as insulates it from the enclosure or pots.

Double sided foam tape.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

wstimson

Quote from: Outtagetme on June 14, 2013, 03:52:15 PM
So you mean that I can put some doublesided tape on the solder side of the PCB?
I was thinking about that but I wasn't sure I could do that.
Newbie question :)

Thank you!

M.

Yep, the thick foamy double sided tape between the pots and the solder side of the board.
Works great.

Outtagetme

Quote from: jkokura on June 14, 2013, 04:16:05 PM
Depends. Not the typical double sided tape, the scotch kind. It should be the kind with foam in the middle, which acts to raise the PCB up a bit as well as insulates it from the enclosure or pots.

Double sided foam tape.

Jacob

Umm I don't think I have ever seen it here in shops (I'm from Italy). So, why not using normal electrical tape, you just connect one end to the other (so the adhesive part connects the two ends) and you get a "diy" doublesided tape, and you can make it as thick as you want. Will it work this way?

M.

Outtagetme

Ok sorry I think I have just found it. The name is "white doublesied foam tape", I think I found what you were talking about. http://www.leroymerlin.it/catalogo/nastri-adesivi/nastro-biadesivo-schiuma-bianco-24-x-24-mm-31878336-p
Can you confirm it?

M.

jkokura

It could work, except I can't see if it's double sided.

This is what Google turned up as an option in the US. You can look for something similar overseas I'm sure.

http://www.staples.com/3M-4466-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-1-inch-x-5-yds-1/product_404286

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

croquet hoop

The link says "biadesivo", so yes, it must be double sided.

Stomptown

You can also solder component leads to the pots and essentially convert the pots into PCB mount pots. Thicker leads like those on a 1n4001 diode work great for this...

Outtagetme

Quote from: jkokura on June 14, 2013, 04:36:32 PM
It could work, except I can't see if it's double sided.

This is what Google turned up as an option in the US. You can look for something similar overseas I'm sure.

http://www.staples.com/3M-4466-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-1-inch-x-5-yds-1/product_404286

Jacob

Yep it is doublesided, and looking at the link you provided it seems more or less the same. It should work, then!

Quote from: croquet hoop on June 14, 2013, 04:39:37 PM
The link says "biadesivo", so yes, it must be double sided.

You got it right! biadesivo=double sided tape

Quote from: Stomptown on June 14, 2013, 04:41:45 PM
You can also solder component leads to the pots and essentially convert the pots into PCB mount pots. Thicker leads like those on a 1n4001 diode work great for this...

Now that's a great idea! I knew how to convert a pcb mounted pot to a "normal" pot with breadboard, just not the opposite!

Thanks everyone for the help!

M.