Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED causing siern/whistling in SHO

Started by camsna, May 22, 2011, 02:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

So. I built my buddy a SHO using this vero layout:

And Madbean's off-board LED wiring scheme:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=707.0;attach=226

The only subs I made are 2.2M resistors in place of the 10M resistors.

It sounds GREAT! But, I was feeling novel and put a color-changing LED in. It changes colors and looks really sweet, but causes a siren sound as each color fades out and flashes. WEEEEEEOOOOoooooOOOEEEEEEET. WEEEEEEEET.WEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEET. Like that ;)

Any way to kill that apart from just switching out the LED to a less ridiculously fun one?

jkokura

Sorry to say, but using a color changing LED and a pedal don't mix.

There is a way to get one running, but usually it means using a different power source, and some circuitry to seperate the two circuits.

Go back to the usual one color LED's and you'll be fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

camsna

Quote from: jkokura on May 22, 2011, 02:12:30 AM

There is a way to get one running, but usually it means using a different power source, and some circuitry to seperate the two circuits.

Jacob

But...but....but...! Fine!

k.rock!

Quote from: camsna on May 22, 2011, 02:51:17 AM
Quote from: jkokura on May 22, 2011, 02:12:30 AM

Jacob

But...but....but...! Fine!

Actually, I differ on this...You can totally use them!! ;D

To get rid of the siren sound you should solder an electrolytic capacitor in parallel to the LED with reverse polarity. Choose something like 10uF or 30uF. Heck, just play with that and turn the volume up, you'll see you can get rid of that noise and it will look pretty cool! :)

PS. I just built an EgoDriver for a friend over the weekend and has a color changing LED on it...ZERO noise ;) and this is my second build with a color changing LED.

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Dude, if that's all it took for you, that's fantastic! Good stuff, I hope that works.

In my case, that wasn't enough, but I think it was dependant on the circuit and the LED I was using...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Ive been wanting to build that circuit for a few months now but i keep putting out on the 5Kc pot..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stecykmi

just use a 5kA pot but wired reverse. how cares that it's backwards? it still works the same.