News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

P/F Sorrow

Started by jeffaroo, January 15, 2013, 08:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffaroo

in the intro to the song Sorrow (Pulse), what the hell is David Gilmour using to get that modulation ?
he is doing something to the guitar but its hard to tell with all the laser bs going on. almost looks like hes karate chopping the trem real fast. i love all that growl in the intro.

im sure those  pickups are hotter than a branding iron. but it should be do-able on a pos street guitar
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Parra

It sounds like a big muff with some od/boost, the rest is feedback (the good one, by the way), vibrato arm and his fingers.

RobA

Yep, it's a Big Muff run through a David Gilmour.

(On my build of the Mudbunny, I modded it so you can toggle out the diodes on the first clipping stage and changed out the last transistor to a BC549C. The rest is done as a Violet Ram's Head version. I think it gets closer to his sound with the first stage diodes toggled out.)
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

madbean

Quote from: RobA on January 15, 2013, 12:22:41 PM
...it's a Big Muff run through a David Gilmour.

Ha ha, that's so true.

DutchMF

Quote from: madbean on January 15, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Ha ha, that's so true.

Well, technically, it's the other way around....  :D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

so come off the board at D2 & D4 going to a DPDT giving (diode / jumped) options right ?
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Bman40

Quote from: madbean on January 15, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Madbean  - when is the David Gilmour pedal comng out?  can't be that hard to design a pcb to mek us all sound liek him, can it????

:)

RobA

I left D2 off the board and replaced D1 with the two leads that go off to the On/On DPDT toggle. I soldered the pair of 1N914's directly on one side of the toggle and left the other side blank. You could do the On/Off/On with alternate diodes there too, but when I bread boarded it, I didn't really like any other diodes in that position.

I did kinda the same thing with the second set of diodes (D3/D4) except for these I went with a 2K pot where I wired a lead off of one side of D3 that Y's to the two pairs of diodes and this then goes to lugs 1 and 3 of the pot. The wiper of the pot is then hooked back to the board on the other connection for D3. I used one pair of 1N914 and one pair of 1N34a as the diodes. It works, but I think I need more experimentation with the pot value to come up with the ideal balance.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).