News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmpolitan (JakeFuzz 2n1304 action, LaceSensor PIF action!)

Started by Bret608, September 17, 2012, 01:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hey everyone,

Here is my just-finished Cosmo build. First, the pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There are some thanks in order here--JakeFuzz supplied the 2n1304 that I used here. I think it was right on the money! It sounds great. Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks to LaceSensor for the in and out jacks--your holiday PIF has been the gift that keeps on giving!

Thanks to Haberdasher for including a BC149c to try out with this excellent board--I haven't tried it out yet but will certainly do so at some point. Either that or I will use it in a Cherrybomb!  ;D  Right now I've got a BC108 from Smallbear with about 680 hfe--these are the ones JakeFuzz suggested, and it looked so cute in there next to big brother 2n1304 I just had to try this one first!

Thanks to Pickdropper for sharing your Cosmo file in Illustrator with me. Although I ended up coming up with my own label, getting to play around with your file helped me get my head around how to lay this out.

The circuit did fire up right away, and now I see why people like this so much. It's oozing classic drive and fuzz sounds. It's so touch sensitive that you can go from playing rhythm to lead without it seeming like something is missing. With my Mustang and Blues Jr., I tend to like the fuzz, brilliance and gain maxed and the shape knob all the way counterclockwise. The range on all knobs is very usable. Soldering them on the back of the board was a bit challenging!

I learned a lot from this first attempt at waterslide decaling, and many thanks to everyone who gave me advice on how to do that. I wouldn't call it an unqualified success (same goes for the clearcoating), but as you can see from the picture, it doesn't look bad at the right angle!

The name "Cosmopolitan" makes me think of "Cosmopolitanism", which was an area of pretty intense theoretical inquiry back when I was in grad school in the social sciences. I wanted a font that made me think of Walter Benjamin's "Paris, Capital of the 19th Century." I think this captures it pretty well.

Wow, hard to believe this is only my third completed build! I know the wiring still isn't beatiful, but between the decal and the fact that just getting the wires onto the lugs seemed to be less of a hassle, I feel like I had a lot of "firsts" here. Also, I finally came up with a name for this pseudo-enterprise of mine. "Firedrill" is a reference to the Minutmen song "Chinese Firedrill", which a buddy of mine and I thought we would name a band back in the day, if we had started one.

Cheers,

Bret

midwayfair

Excellent color and knob choice, and a very nice clean labeling and overall design. I like the set brackets for the side labeling, too.

I think your internal wiring is just fine, but you should consider clipping the leads on the battery snap to be much shorter. You can cut it to about an inch, then twist it and it'll sit just fine on the other side of the case. It will keep you from crossing the power line with the audio line. Not that this is a particularly noisy pedal, but no reason not to get in the habit.

JakeFuzz

Damn that is nice and clean! Love those knobs and that enclosure color together. Glad you like this circuit; even after having it and others for years this one is still one of my all time favorites. Man those gold lead BC108's sound good too; glad you sprung for one of those.

Bret608

Quote from: midwayfair on September 17, 2012, 02:12:51 PM
Excellent color and knob choice, and a very nice clean labeling and overall design. I like the set brackets for the side labeling, too.

I think your internal wiring is just fine, but you should consider clipping the leads on the battery snap to be much shorter. You can cut it to about an inch, then twist it and it'll sit just fine on the other side of the case. It will keep you from crossing the power line with the audio line. Not that this is a particularly noisy pedal, but no reason not to get in the habit.

Thanks Jon! I thought the set brackets made it look more Euro/retro somehow. I hear you on the battery clip. The way I arranged it here was an artifact of pure laziness--it came from Smallbear with the leads all nicely tinned, so I was like, "Hmm, how can I just force this in there with the current wire length?" I was also kind of worried I'd be overcrowding that side of the box, so good to know for the future that it's not the case.

Quote from: JakeFuzz on September 17, 2012, 03:11:48 PM
Damn that is nice and clean! Love those knobs and that enclosure color together. Glad you like this circuit; even after having it and others for years this one is still one of my all time favorites. Man those gold lead BC108's sound good too; glad you sprung for one of those.

Thanks Paul! You should see it with the white LED on--I tried to get a picture like that since it looks even sweeter, but the camera flash was drowning it out somewhat. The BC108 is indeed the gold lead variety, and damn, you were not kidding about how good it sounds! Glad I didn't just go with the default trannies.

You guys are too kind though...I can see the decal edge and clearcoat ripples here for sure! I won't be parting with this though--I am pleased with the color and look and even more so with the sound.

LaceSensor

hoodoo

Hey mate, looks great, don't be too hard on yourself over that waterslide decal. I've done a few of them now and every one has their own little teething problems  :). I like your effects name, fellow firey by any chance?
Take it easy,
Matt.

Bret608

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 18, 2012, 07:58:49 AM
Awesome. Makes me look forward to the next PIF season

I know, me too! I'll actually be able to do one myself this year. And look out for my Wolfshirt build report in a couple of weeks--believe it or not, it will also have some items from your PIF in it.

Quote from: hoodoo on September 18, 2012, 08:49:11 AM
Hey mate, looks great, don't be too hard on yourself over that waterslide decal. I've done a few of them now and every one has their own little teething problems  :). I like your effects name, fellow firey by any chance?
Take it easy,
Matt.

Hey Matt, I appreciate it--I have been following your recent waterslide adventures and I see what you mean about every one having its own challenges. Yours have been looking really good.

No, I'm not a firey; the name comes from a line in a song by '80s punk legends the Minutemen: "Living this life is like trying to learn Latin in a Chinese Firedrill." Try to find Minutemen bassist Mike Watt's rework of the song online if you can. It features vocals from Black Francis/Frank Black and some magical guitar work by Nels Cline. The album it's on is Ballhog or Tugboat?.

pickdropper

Nice build, Bret.

I am glad the graphics worked out for you.  I think you did a great job and the case color fits well with it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

Thanks Dave! Ever since you provided me with your Cosmo graphic, I've been off and running designing decals for upcoming builds beyond this one. Something must have clicked, because I am not the most visual person out there!  ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: Bret608 on September 18, 2012, 04:29:17 PM
Thanks Dave! Ever since you provided me with your Cosmo graphic, I've been off and running designing decals for upcoming builds beyond this one. Something must have clicked, because I am not the most visual person out there!  ;)

Great!  Happy to help.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

Very nice looking cosmo. you did a great job, be proud of it.

I still hold onto my cosmo after too many OD and fuzz builds to count. Its a great circuit.

Bret608

Thanks man! I am proud of this for sure--I do tend to set a pretty high bar for myself but at the end of the day, this is my most fully realized project to date. And soundwise, it is just something I've been after for a long time.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

slimtriggers

I'm diggin' this build.  The color, font and knobs all really work well together  8)

Bret608

Aww, shucks, you guys!  ::)

I was going for a cohesive theme, and judging from the comments, I guess it worked! The enclosure is just good ol' OBD green from PPP. I found the knobs on Smallbear, and I don't think I've seen anyone else use them except Dr. Scientist on the new white version of the Elements. Could be wrong though!