News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Our first builds EVER - beginners consolation corner

Started by Cortexturizer, September 13, 2013, 10:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Total shite from me. Going all the way back to 2004, no less! This was number 3, actually...don't have pics of the first two.

G.G.

This is my 2nd build, from 2009, first non-kit. I built a Bazz Fuss as a birthday gift for my younger brother. Can't even see the board due the miles of wire. Sadly, it doesn't look that different from my current stuff. :-/

croquet hoop

My very first build, just a few weeks old. Not worth being put in an enclosure, but it's still useful today — I use the circuit (chromesphere's 7 min fuzz) to test 3PDT/switch boards, and I use the 3PDT board as a basic test rig. Which is utterly impractical, but hey.

fendman

Quote from: jimilee on September 15, 2013, 02:36:19 AM
My first build, a confidence boost into an enclosure. A mod within itself considering it was just a board with no enclosure.
Crazy wiring but I think Juan has us all beat. He must've been going through wire like mad! Did you go back and salvage some if that wire for your next 10 builds? :-)
Love those rusty pliers Jimi...I got some like those :P

jimilee

Quote from: fendman on September 15, 2013, 07:57:35 PM
Quote from: jimilee on September 15, 2013, 02:36:19 AM
My first build, a confidence boost into an enclosure. A mod within itself considering it was just a board with no enclosure.
Crazy wiring but I think Juan has us all beat. He must've been going through wire like mad! Did you go back and salvage some if that wire for your next 10 builds? :-)
Love those rusty pliers Jimi...I got some like those :P
still use them too
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

das234

Quote from: juansolo on September 15, 2013, 07:41:48 AM
Quote from: jimilee on September 15, 2013, 02:36:19 AMCrazy wiring but I think Juan has us all beat. He must've been going through wire like mad! Did you go back and salvage some if that wire for your next 10 builds? :-)

That was my worst... I learned a lot from that one. As with a lot of my early stuff, it was recycled and probably made quite a few pedals after that, yup! ;)

I thought all that extra wire was a retirement plan.  Just cash in that copper at a later date and live like a king.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Cortexturizer

Quote from: das234 on September 15, 2013, 09:18:02 PM
Quote from: juansolo on September 15, 2013, 07:41:48 AM
Quote from: jimilee on September 15, 2013, 02:36:19 AMCrazy wiring but I think Juan has us all beat. He must've been going through wire like mad! Did you go back and salvage some if that wire for your next 10 builds? :-)

That was my worst... I learned a lot from that one. As with a lot of my early stuff, it was recycled and probably made quite a few pedals after that, yup! ;)

I thought all that extra wire was a retirement plan.  Just cash in that copper at a later date and live like a king.

hahahahahha
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Bret608

Quote from: alanp on September 16, 2013, 05:24:20 AM
So, how many stations did that pick up?  ;)  :)

;)  I think we should also take the quality of reception into account. My Wolfshirt (fourth build, far from beautiful wiring) picks up this really interesting economics talk show on Sunday mornings. I can shred, and I can take a quick break and learn about the prices on pork bellies in the futures market!

stevie1556

I'm feeling a little left out here. Possibly my worse build yet. Wasn't my first build, bit was one of them.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

chromesphere

Heres mine.  As tempting as it is to just rip that sucker apart and build it again from the ground up, i think its important to leave it as it is.  Its a humble reminder to me, that we all start at the start.

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Geosh

Most of my first builds were before I discovered MadBeans PCBs. 

Here are the first builds I had done. The "Timmy Jr" and "O.C.Drive" were just rehouses of Danelectro Cool Cat pedals.
Platinum Overdrive: Barber LTD Silver vero build - based on the schematic he released.
Gold pedal on left: Attempted OCD clone on vero - would go into crazy oscillations if the gain got cranked too high. Never did fix it.
Zen Drive: Vero Zen clone
DLS: Vero DLS Clone
The Tremojo: this was the last build of the group. It is a vero build of the 4ms Tremulus Lune tremolo. It is an amazing trem and has been on my friends board since I built it.

I'll have to check my computer and see if I have any gut shots of any of them.

Vallhagen

Dunnow if this one is too clean to show on here ::) ... This is my first stompbox, but it should be said that i have been doin other kind of electronics and done my solder courses long before this, but for sure i have had a more than 10 years break. It was fun just to pick up the soldering iron and fine tools again. I was googling for a replacement pot for my CryBaby, and almost by accident ran across some kits to build your own thing... Soon after that i found this webplace:)

It is the BYOC OD2, handpainted by the youngest kid and handtexted by me. I had this idea of letting every family member paint one box. That would give me FIVE boxes in total, and that should be it... WHOOOOO can need more than that??? ::) ...

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Vallhagen on September 17, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
Dunnow if this one is too clean to show on here ::) ... This is my first stompbox, but it should be said that i have been doin other kind of electronics and done my solder courses long before this, but for sure i have had a more than 10 years break. It was fun just to pick up the soldering iron and fine tools again. I was googling for a replacement pot for my CryBaby, and almost by accident ran across some kits to build your own thing... Soon after that i found this webplace:)

It is the BYOC OD2, handpainted by the youngest kid and handtexted by me. I had this idea of letting every family member paint one box. That would give me FIVE boxes in total, and that should be it... WHOOOOO can need more than that??? ::) ...

Cheers

I love how the dudes face on the newspaper is blacked out.. lol

Willybomb

The Little Angel was my first build, and is a pretty tight fit due to all the wire inside and poor placement planning.  I had to put electrical tape across the inside of the bottom plate to prevent shorting.  Very happy with the enclosure though.

The Krankosaurus was my second build.  The insides are a bit neater, finish is cool (the t-shirt transfer looks like a silk screen almost) but the hookup wire I used keeps breaking at the board or other solder points.  Needs a re-do.