News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Show and tell: old MXR distortion+ block logo

Started by harryklippton, March 03, 2022, 03:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

I've been sitting on a box of pedals for repair for a friend of a friend and I decided to dig through some of them today. One of them was this block logo MXR distortion+. From poking around online, the EIA pot codes seem to point to 1979. This is definitely not an area of expertise for me. Anybody able to verify this?

The foam inside has long since crumbled, and it's kinda messy but the pedal seems to be working as intended. Too bad someone drilled a hole in the side of the enclosure to stick an adapter in from the battery snap to a barrel jack. I'm going to see if the owner would prefer an actual 9c jack installed in the hole.

I did some work on a friend's mid 60s gretsch amp this past summer, and other than that, this is probably the oldest thing I've had the pleasure of peeking inside. If I've interpreted the pot codes correctly, than this pedal is older than me

Bret608

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing. I had thought they were using silicon diodes by the time of the block logo era, so interesting to see the germanium here, particularly if this is from as late as 1979.

imjonwain

My first pedal was a similar one.  Block logo front with a cursive embossed back plate, it also had germanium diodes.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR