News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plastic Fantastic

Started by TNblueshawk, October 03, 2011, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

This is an OD'ish circuit, the Cap'n Munch, from guitarpcb. I sort of had a wild hair and for poops and giggles I thought I would house this thing in this. I was so worried about noise and being able to listen to the radio through it I socketed darn near anything that moved in order to tweak it. Also, went with the battery for the same reason. Much to my shock and happiness, it was completely quiet. I have no idea why though. I mean unless I dimed the gain and volume no hiss or anything. So I went from a novelty type thing for fun and figured it would just sit on a shelf to something I will slap down on my home pedal board.

The circuit itself is killer. It cleans up so well but if you want to split the wall you can do that too with some grind.

John

Haberdasher

Man that is freakin awesome.  Where did you get the enclosure?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

TheCobbenator

+1 I gotta know where the enclosure came from

I initially got into this realm because I found Barry's site with the crunch box clone. That was before he released the new version with 2 ICs. How does it stack up to the original? I may just build a vero version

TNblueshawk

Thanks fellas. I got the enclosure here http://www.iprojectbox.com/serpac-handheld-project-p-26.html

I had originally wanted to get the blue and red plastic one but they told me they no longer carry those so I fished around and ended up getting a couple of these. Some dude just turned me onto this site for some glow in the dark wire. I think I may get that too for another build http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/subcategory.asp?SubCategoryID=149

Cob, I have never had any experience with his ver 1 to compare to. This one is really smooth is all I know but has plenty of gain, at least for me and my P-90's. I only had about a half hour last night with it so I need to put a little more time into it. Also on the tone knob and per Barry's site:
The tone control is an active control – it boosts as well as cuts frequencies. With the control in the mid
position, no frequencies are boosted or cut, turning the control anti-clockwise will boost bass
frequencies and cut high frequencies, turning the control clockwise will cut bass frequencies and
boost high frequencies.
John

TheCobbenator

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, I've never used any of barry's boards, but he was always prompt and courteous about answering my questions. I donated a little money a few months ago to help him with a fund to help him step up production or something when his son had medical bills or something along those lines.  I may have to check out this board soon...

TNblueshawk

I like Barry's stuff. I usually order some of his products he sells too. I love his pot condomns  8)  I started at BYOC and still love the place, went over to Barry to branch out, and now I've got a handful of Bean's boards I can't wait to work on.

I think I'm addicted
John

Rocktifier

Looks awesome!  Love that enclosure!  I wonder if you can make the whole thing glow kinda like this light emitting border tutorial

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=66840.0

joegagan

looks very cool. inspiring!

petesz

Thats so cool.. i have to do this now.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Really clever idea! I always use the bottom under the pcb to make everything neater...
Gotta use this one day to showcase a way to complex build  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TNblueshawk

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on October 05, 2011, 08:22:43 AM
Really clever idea! I always use the bottom under the pcb to make everything neater...
Gotta use this one day to showcase a way to complex build  :)

It's obviously not gig worthy but I just play at home so for me it is practical. I have one more enclosure like this and I'm trying to think of some cool circuit maybe with a rotary switch for several different LED clippers, different colors etc.. kind of thing.

If anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears too.
John

rullywowr

Awesome build man!  Love the enclosure!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

nzCdog

Always wanted to do a transparent pedal...  nice job! :)