News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MoRC

Started by bigmufffuzzwizz, September 05, 2011, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

Here's a circuit I've been holding on to for awhile now. It's the guitarpcb Modified Ross Compressor. I was putting off getting the CA3080 until I checked on Ebay and found a little bulk of them for real cheap w/ free shipping. A friend's been asking me about this a lot so I decided to bust it out. Not to hard to assemble, everything went together really nicely in a 125B. My original plan was to pack it in a 1590B but I don't think it was gonna happen. I really like the sound of this circuit. It adds something I just can't put my finger on but I like it! A whole lot, I kinda don't wanna let go of it. As I bring both knobs to full volume it does get slightly noisy but also adds a sort of boost/light distortion that goes really nice with the compression effect. Through a tube amp its low end glory and amazing sustain!! Made my solid state little Crate practice amp come to life as well. Before building this I had no idea what I was missing, now I feel like I need one!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Nice build... always been interested in these comp pedals.

irmcdermott

I built a stock Ross for a friend of mine, and he loves it. Says he never turns it off. Does the toggle switch make a huge difference in the different settings?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: irmcdermott on September 05, 2011, 11:40:35 PM
I built a stock Ross for a friend of mine, and he loves it. Says he never turns it off. Does the toggle switch make a huge difference in the different settings?

I'm not quite sure what the toggle switch does but there is a better big difference in the different settings. Its an On/Off/On switch, middle sounds kinda flat, the left setting is squashy but lets volume than the right on setting. That one is where I've left it and sounds truly awesome! There's a good bit of volume available in this circuit as well!

petesz

Ive built this MoRC and i really dig it too. I have no desire to buy a real compressor pedal, this one works great (unless of course the Bean made one..).

chip46

Awesome. I traded my Dyna Comp away a year or so ago. I've been thinking about doing a compressor lately, might have to give this one a try.

cjkbug

the toggle sets the release time on the compression. I honestly couldn't hear or feel much of a difference between the settings on mine. I built one of these last year and it sounds just like the keeley 2 knob. really nice comp.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

k.rock!

Great job Magic! :)

I love this circuit as well. I was able to cram it down into a 1590B but it wasn't easy at all! Had to file down one of the PCB corners, bend come components, place the board components down... :-\ anywho...I think this is a really nice sounding compressor. Mine is always ON as well! The switch is the release speed of the compression. This is related to your pick attack. If you play with it with a high sustain value you'll notice the differences between positions.

BTW. Make sure you have the trimpot on the "sweet spot" for your tastes. It should be balances 1k on each side, but what I did on mine was to set it half and half (1k on each side), turn the sustain all the way up and play until I got a nice usable, clean, heavily compressed sound. You won't be varying it too much from the middle to get it but it definitely will need fine tuning ;)

After that, I bet you won't be turning it off either from now on! haha

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

cab_eleven

I have been going back and forth on building a MoRc, I keep talking myself out of it and into yet another dirt box. I've never used compression on my board so I don't know if I'm missing anything. I think I've made up my mind now though. This will be my next build.  Your move and clean build coupled with the good reviews have given me GAS

jkokura

If you hang on a bit, I might have a project being released in the next month that you might want to build instead of the Ross clone...

Just a thought.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

Quote from: jkokura on September 07, 2011, 05:30:44 PM
If you hang on a bit, I might have a project being released in the next month that you might want to build instead of the Ross clone...

Just a thought.

Jacob

You have piqued my interest :) any clues as to this project might be?
Pcbs no longer available

jkokura

Maybe...

But not yet. It might be worth waiting for.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: k.rock! on September 07, 2011, 04:29:22 PM
I was able to cram it down into a 1590B but it wasn't easy at all! Had to file down one of the PCB corners, bend come components, place the board components down... :-\

Now that I think of it I do remember that build of yours! It was insanely tight in there. When I was trying to figure out what enclosure to use, I held the pcb over a 1590B and instantly didn't wanna deal with it. But I bought a bunch of 1590B's so I'm gonna have to find some smaller circuits or get crafty!
The only major difference I can hear in the Release switch is volume related. But I still have to put a fuzz/drive in front of it and test that out. I set the trimpot for exactly in the middle and haven't felt a need to tweak it. I was so suprised by how much I liked the effect that I didn't even want to play with it. But I'll try some minor tweaking, see if I can get it sounding even better! I'm guessing the bit of distortion will clean up if I tweak it? I really wanna play this through a full stack set-up!  :)

Quote from: cab_eleven on September 07, 2011, 05:12:20 PM
I have been going back and forth on building a MoRc, I keep talking myself out of it and into yet another dirt box. I've never used compression on my board so I don't know if I'm missing anything. I think I've made up my mind now though. This will be my next build.  Your move and clean build coupled with the good reviews have given me GAS

I'm not gonna say this is the best compressor or anything like that, but it sounds amazing. It's the first comp I've ever used (never felt the need for one before) and I may just have to have one for myself now. On the other hand there are so many layouts out there (Bajaman's, Demeter, Dyna-comp, optical compressors + many more) I would like to experiment and try some others. In the end this may be my favorite but I just don't know yet!! Jacob's may kick all of the others out of the water...
That's the part I love about all of this..  ;D