News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'Nother misbehaving Crybaby... **UPDATED**

Started by pauloman80, October 18, 2010, 08:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

Help!  I replaced the pot in my Crybaby a couple months ago and have been so happy to have it back, but now when I engage it the volume slowly drops out over the course of a couple seconds.  When I switch it back off, the dry signal is usually fine.  Switch it back on, volume drop.  Occasionally the volume drop will happen a bit when it's switched off.  Could this be a bad inductor?  Thanks, all!

**UPDATE:  So I called Dunlop directly to get some help.  They worked with me for several months on my disobedient MXR Stereo Chorus pedal and really came through, so I hit them back so one of their techs to guide me through testing the Crybaby (and I learned how to use a multimeter in the process  :-[ **noob alert**).  Turns out the Q3 transistor is running at half of what it's supposed to, and in the tech's claimed seven years at Dunlop this is one of the trouble spots for Crybaby's alongside the switch (which tested just fine), the pot (which I just replaced), and something else that I can't recall but also tested fine.  Conveniently, a buddy of mine was nearby a local electronics parts surplus shop and picked up a few replacement trannies for me, so next week I'll swap that little guy out and see if it's the right cure.  Will keep you gents posted! 

Now I'm gonna go use my new multimeter on my misbehaving clothes dryer... ahhh, what a way to spend my day off of work...  :P
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

aziltz

i had this happen in a subdecay liquid sunshine.  I think it is a switch issue.

stecykmi

Strange problem, but I don't think it's possible to figure out what's wrong without opening it up and tracing through the signal path.

pauloman80

Quote from: stecykmi on October 20, 2010, 07:07:29 AM
Strange problem, but I don't think it's possible to figure out what's wrong without opening it up and tracing through the signal path.

Yeah, I really need to pick up a multimeter today.  Not only is this going to be the third pedal on my table that needs repair, I also have a clothes dryer to try and diagnose as well.  The fun never stops!
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80