News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First 1590A Build: Stomptown Baby Screamer w/ mods

Started by v00d00blues79, March 26, 2016, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

v00d00blues79

I just wrapped up my first 1590A build last night, and I'm hooked!  It's a Stomptown Electronics Baby Screamer.  I used the values for the Keeley mod plus to tweak this little guy.  I love it!

I still suck at enclosure finishes, so this little guy is sitting in a unmarked enclosure.  I want to start doing more finishes on enclosures, but I have the hardest time coming up with ideas.

Anyway, here are the obligatory pics:

Thanks!

Andy

gorditas

Tidy! Aren't those Lumberg jacks the best? If they weren't so (relatively) expensive, I'd use them on everything.

v00d00blues79

Thanks!  This is my first time using them.  I did have a problem where the tip connection wasn't bent correctly on one of them and the Jack would go under instead of over.  A little retensioning and all was well.

Oh, and I did use a BB OPA2134 for the op amp as well.  I forgot to list that above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leevibe

wgc

Nice, love 1590s. And nothing wrong with a plain enclosure, though it is fun to develop a style that you dig too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Nice job. For the outside, don't overthink it, I usually use the first thing I see that looks cool / funny / neat and just use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

v00d00blues79

Thanks guys!  Since I build for myself I typically go function over form.  I have a ton of baby boards built up right now.  This was just the first of many wee ones.  I do have to say that the board mounted pots and led made this one a snap to box up.  I'll know I really cut my teeth on 1590A's when I get to the rest that are all off board pots and LEDs.

Thanks,

Andy

v00d00blues79

I was asked in a PM what changes I made to mod this build to the keeley specs.  Here are the values that I changed:

R3 - 510k
R6 - 2k4
R13 - 510k

C3 - 51pF
C4 - 100n
C6 - 180n

The part numbers listed are the ones from the Stomptown build doc.  I did notice a disconnect between the schematic part numbers and the BOM in the build doc, so the numbers listed are from the BOM, not the schematic.

I really like the way this mod sounds.  It adds a level of ballsiness to the circuit, while still being clear and articulate, that I've not heard before.

Thanks,

Andy

LaceSensor

v00d00blues79

Thanks!  I've become infatuated with all things mini now.  I have a pickdropper Trem waiting to be wired up and a bunch more I just got the last bit of parts in for.  Pretty soon my whole board will be tiny.

Stomptown

Quote from: v00d00blues79 on April 07, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
The part numbers listed are the ones from the Stomptown build doc.  I did notice a disconnect between the schematic part numbers and the BOM in the build doc, so the numbers listed are from the BOM, not the schematic.

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll take a look and get the schematic updated.

v00d00blues79

You're most welcome.  I meant to shoot you a message about it when I found it, but the little bugger was too much fun to play and I forgot.