News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graduated drill bit recommendations.

Started by Ekimneets, October 14, 2018, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

OK, I'm a big fan graduated drill bits, for the most part. I have a small medium size one that I've had for 25 years, while I'm old, it's a snap on and has been worth every penny I paid for plus many times over.

However recently I needed one for larger holes and indiscriminately purchased one off of either eBay or Amazon I can't remember which. It bites and I mean that in many different ways.

I also just had an enclosure ripped out of my hand, luckily it didn't hurt me but it took a chunk out of some of my graphics, which I'm not happy about.

You'll see it when I post to build in the next day or two.

I'm not using this bit anymore,  when I need something to replace it with anyone have any suggestions for a larger size graduated Drill bit?

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

ahiddentableau

I've been using the Irwin Unibit (#1 I think) for years and I have absolutely no complaints.  My first one lasted for several years before it finally gave out, but as for as durability is concerned they've been excellent.  Unless things have changed, Small Bear sells them.  That's how I got my first Unibit.

Ekimneets

You know what it actually may be a unibit that sounds right instead of the snap on I mention earlier. I'll go have a look at them thank you. The drill bit on the right is the evil one.

By the way whoever recommended tap talk to me for pictures I can't get to the thread right now but thank you very much that was easy as pie.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

Ekimneets

So that does look like the unit bit that I have the larger one they have is actually not large enough I need to go up to at least 3/4 so I'll keep looking thanks though.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

pickdropper

By far the highest quality unibit I used was the Klein brand bits.  I tried three different Irwins, but they all had QC issues.  Other folks love them, so I assume I got unlucky.

That said, I've not touched a step but since I got the Hougen rotacut mini hole cutters.  Expensive, but fantastic (and safer).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Ekimneets

I've got some less expensive hole cutters that are really good at generating smoke and heat.

I'll try the Klein, I've used their stuff before and it's well made.

Thanks for the recc, i'd Forgotten about them.
-M

davent

Haven't had opportunity to try Klien products but have had no issues with a few different Irwins up to 1 3/8" diameter in aluminum enclosures/chassis. Use them in wood too.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on October 14, 2018, 11:58:21 PM
Haven't had opportunity to try Klien products but have had no issues with a few different Irwins up to 1 3/8" diameter in aluminum enclosures/chassis. Use them in wood too.
dave

I probably had unusually bad luck.  All three I got weren't true.  Pretty bad flaw for a stepped bit.  I got them from McMaster Carr as well, so it was a reliable vendor.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ahiddentableau

I'm almost certain that the bit on the left in your picture is an Irwin unibit #1.  Looks exactly like mine.

Ekimneets

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 15, 2018, 01:33:49 AM
I'm almost certain that the bit on the left in your picture is an Irwin unibit #1.  Looks exactly like mine.

Yeah I Came to the same conclusion and it has been fantastic. Unfortunately They don't have one big enough.

The other is just a source of frustration and strife and I'm going to get rid of it.

So far the Klein is on the top of my list.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

Ekimneets

All right so I just found in Erwin you in a bit over an Amazon for 25 bucks that goes from 3/16 up to 7/8 of an inch. I think I found on looking for thanks for all your help guys.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

davent

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 15, 2018, 01:54:28 AM
All right so I just found in Erwin you in a bit over an Amazon for 25 bucks that goes from 3/16 up to 7/8 of an inch. I think I found on looking for thanks for all your help guys.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

I've this one that goes to 1 3/8" plus the one you pictured.

https://www.amazon.ca/Irwin-10235-Unibit5-4-Inch-8-Inch/dp/B0009XJ31A

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Ekimneets

Thx, I'll figure out what combo I need. I hope it's not that expensive in the us, wow!

-Mike