News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Apparently I solder in my sleep

Started by jimilee, March 29, 2013, 02:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I just finished debugging a build, and apparently I soldered it in my sleep, because there were missed spots all over the board, but no bridges mind you. I've built now probably 12-15 pedals and this one is worse than my first one. Wow is all I can say. I did get it running though, so there's that. ???
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Done that.

I go in streaks. I go for a while without making any mistakes. Then, just when I'm convinced I can do no wrong, I have 3-4 circuits in a row where it all goes to hell and I'm convinced I'm a walking fail.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Hah, I've had 4 or 5 baby builds sitting on the bench for five or six months now. Every time I think about drilling the enclosures (1590A) and wiring the pots, I load world of warcraft instead...

The Low Profile Dop 1.0 and 1.2 boards were also very hard on the old ego.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

hoodoo

"BEER" is the word, keeps things interesting ;D

hammerheadmusicman

beat me to it! Soldering under any influence never yields the best results!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

ch1naski

I thought I read somewhere that you're supposed to drink while building.....
My soldering station has a built-in wine glass holder.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

whitebread47

Quote from: jubal81 on March 29, 2013, 02:58:44 AM
Done that.

I go in streaks. I go for a while without making any mistakes. Then, just when I'm convinced I can do no wrong, I have 3-4 circuits in a row where it all goes to hell and I'm convinced I'm a walking fail.

This describes my experience as well.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2013, 02:20:01 AM
So I just finished debugging a build, and apparently I soldered it in my sleep, because there were missed spots all over the board, but no bridges mind you. I've built now probably 12-15 pedals and this one is worse than my first one. Wow is all I can say. I did get it running though, so there's that. ???

I used to take ambien and I think I did do some soldering in my sleep.   It was cool because it was like getting a DOD 250 for free :D
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

jimilee

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on March 29, 2013, 07:11:39 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 29, 2013, 02:20:01 AM

I used to take ambien and I think I did do some soldering in my sleep.   It was cool because it was like getting a DOD 250 for free :D
like an effect fairy showed up
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

How cool is that! Little Ambien action, wake up in the morning with a new effect on your bed. Nice!