News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's do monthly contests for 2013

Started by madbean, January 29, 2013, 04:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

With a pedal covering intimate parts? I don't think i'm up for it ;)

or buying a calendar!

haha
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

AllenM

Hmmm.. maybe it would help if there were categories to score on.. example...

Build - 1 2 3 4 5

Complexity - 1 2 3 4 5

Detail - 1 2 3 4 5

Fit and Finish - 1 2 3 4 5

Etc..

(categories are sorta made up and for example only)

But the idea would be each voter would score each build and give it a final point tally... I guess my over all idea is that a pedal would not win on just looks alone but the over all build and finish.. so maybe a not so fancy paint job but super clean wiring job and cool mods helps a pedals score..

Just some ideas..

AllenM

jimilee

I think you guys are over thinking it,remember were musicians. I think the same thing we've been doing in build reports,only now it will inspire and challenge a little more creativity. Let's just keep making awesome pedals and enter them in addition to a build report. Annnnndddd go!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stevie1556

Quote from: DutchMF on January 29, 2013, 06:27:57 PM

I really don't want take anything away from your build, stevie1556, as it is probably really nice, but this is a risk we're taking: people saving their build reports until the next competition.... Do we want that? I mean, I get a huge kick out of turning on my computer, either at home or at work, checking the forum and being blown away by something brilliant! Now everyone has their own schedule.

Paul

That is a good point of saving builds. I've got a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment, as the misses has just found and booked a wedding venue, so there is a good chance it won't be fully finished for a couple of months yet.

I also love looking at build reports, amazing how neat some people are with their wiring!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

DutchMF

Quote from: roflcopter on January 29, 2013, 09:32:44 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2013, 09:19:23 PM
Quote from: DutchMF on January 29, 2013, 08:55:32 PM
Quote from: roflcopter on January 29, 2013, 07:01:58 PM
@Brian
Why not theme it to a board each month. eg... You must use a Kingslayer board for February. Hell it may help your sales too!
This I like! One of those 'win-win' things for sure, it could be done with every new release (no pressure Brian!), give it a time-frame of, say, 2 or 3 weeks, and then see which one is voted as being the best/cleverest/ingenious/whatever!

I'm not a fan of this idea. Not enough people can afford to buy, build, and box a new release within weeks of its release.

Yeah, I agree now. haha. I've changed my mind a little bit.

Just an idea... 12 monthly contests released at the beginning of each month, but they have a 2 month build time? It would work well for any new releases or give some more time for folks that don't have as much time (or money) to dedicate as they'd like.

You guys do have a good point there.
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stig

I think it's a really good idea the the contests. But I agree with jimilee, it's sorta over-thinking the concept. Lets keep it simple and do a monthly contest with no boundaries.
I can't do themes as it usually takes three to four week before I get my parts. I buy parts pr. pedal. Then I have to fit the actual build in my everyday life with children, work and misses. Guess I'm just slow in that account:-)

aballen

I think this is a great idea.  Keep it simple, and limit the number of wins per year... otherwise I have no chance!

pickdropper

I agree with the simple idea.  Maybe on the last day of the month, everybody votes on their favorite.  If it needs more structure than that, maybe the mods could come up with the candidates for each month and everybody else could vote on them.

And I would vote for a limit of winning to once or twice per calendar year.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

Quote from: pickdropper on January 30, 2013, 08:39:31 PM

This.

whitebread47

Quote from: lincolnic on January 31, 2013, 04:12:50 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 30, 2013, 08:39:31 PM

This.

This²

Partly because it's truly fair and could help avoid mutiny aboard the S.S. Bean, but it also "slightly" increases my chances. ;)
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

lincolnic

Quote from: whitebread47 on January 31, 2013, 06:43:33 AM
Partly because it's truly fair and could help avoid mutiny aboard the S.S. Bean, but it also "slightly" increases my chances. ;)

It also makes sure that we don't have just Jon, Juan, and Pickdropper winning all the time!

gtangas

I like the idea. And it will obliges all to improve their work and for me and others that are starting it an opportunity to learn more with those gurus  ;D

alanp

It should be interesting. If I were to submit anything (not sure it's worth bothering with that until the usuals have won!), I think I'd have to buy a USB thingie to mic up my amp. Or a video camera. Or something. (No, I don't have an iPhone or anything similar...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Got a webcam or anything that captures video at all? He just stated just something to show the pedal is working.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.