News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NOS MN3005s Bias or DOA?

Started by TeleCrunch, March 26, 2022, 02:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeleCrunch

I bought two NOS MN3005s from the recent Synthcube sale. I tried to use both in a Man O War Deluxe I built (chip sockets), but can't get them to bias at any settings (Bias 1 or Bias 2), to pass the delayed audio signal on pins 3 or 4 of each, even though the voltages are correct to the build guide, and an audio signal appears at both BBD chip input pins. 
I have a Setback Delay that works perfectly with an Xvive MN3005, so I tried each NOS in that build, but can't get either of the NOS chips to bias or work in this either.
I don't have advanced testing tools like an oscilloscope, but I have successfully biased other BBD projects by ear, so are there any tips on how to get these to bias by changing the values of parts? or is it possible these are both DOA?
No Squid Pro Quo

in8241

Sounds like they are DOA or extremely finicky. I have no experience with the nos chips from synthcube. The xvives I've bought from retroamplis have all been great.

You could go through the manowar document bias set up steps 1, 2, 3, only need one 3005. Try the xvive to get a baseline of what's supposed to happen, audio probe pin 4, then check the voltages with the build document cause they will vary a little write them down, then swap it out for a nos and repeat.

danfrank

Email SC, they will exchange for good ones. I bought 10 of those a while back during one of their sales and one was bad. They replaced it.
BTW, NOS is misleading... Most of what I got were working pulls. Ok by me as they tested ok.

madbean

Quote from: danfrank on March 28, 2022, 02:35:23 AM
Email SC, they will exchange for good ones. I bought 10 of those a while back during one of their sales and one was bad. They replaced it.
BTW, NOS is misleading... Most of what I got were working pulls. Ok by me as they tested ok.

Honest question - is there a difference b/w NOS and "pulls"? I always regarded them as the same. IOW, NOS whether or not they had been used.

Anyway, glad you are getting it sorted. I used an unboxed DM-2 to test all mine. It's tedious but not too painful.

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on March 28, 2022, 04:12:22 AM

Honest question - is there a difference b/w NOS and "pulls"? I always regarded them as the same. IOW, NOS whether or not they had been used.

Anyway, glad you are getting it sorted. I used an unboxed DM-2 to test all mine. It's tedious but not too painful.
The N in NOS stands for new... as in, not used. I would not consider pulls as NOS.

A few years ago, I emailed utsource about a "NOS" MN3005 where the picture looked like a pull. They verified the picture was the actual chip and was not a pull or ever used. I have always wondered if a sample of some were tested at the factory.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on March 28, 2022, 09:55:27 PM

The N in NOS stands for new... as in, not used. I would not consider pulls as NOS.

A few years ago, I emailed utsource about a "NOS" MN3005 where the picture looked like a pull. They verified the picture was the actual chip and was not a pull or ever used. I have always wondered if a sample of some were tested at the factory.

Yeah that was kind of a dumb question on my part, haha.

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on March 29, 2022, 12:18:16 AM
Quote from: Aentons on March 28, 2022, 09:55:27 PM

Yeah that was kind of a dumb question on my part, haha.
Dumb questions are the ones you don't ask :)

TeleCrunch

I'll reach out to the vendor and see what they say, the window is tight, "All returns need to be requested within 14 days from arrival and needs to be accepted by synthCube."
I should have read the description on their site more carefully (parentheses below are my comments, if it's not obvious):
"MN3005 bucket brigade delay analog IC- original NOS (heading for the description seems pretty straight forward, but...*)
Tested** , original manufacturer MN3005 BBD analog delay IC. Many of these on the market are counterfeit so we purchased a number of them . Video of testing is available on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0wP-n3vEg-- so you can see and hear what you are buying. (Tested! Awesome! But...)

Some are NOS, some are pulled from old electronics. (ah, so not ALL are NOS as stated in the heading)
These are ORIGNAL MN3005 ICs, not the recently re-made Xvive version (true)
These ICs can be used to complete analog delay pedal projects, recently announced Blacet Time Machine kits, etc. (Not for me, but I'm still trying)
See a sample of the testing unit Time Machine at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-C1LT0XDfQ (cool)

*we use a sample testing method; not every IC is tested. (the real disclaimer I should have considered)
No Squid Pro Quo