News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neovibe

Started by Sigesmundninja, April 04, 2012, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

I'm sourcing parts and planning to buil a litte 3 in one pedal including a neovibe. The documentation on the neovibe aren't as easy to follow as madbeans documents and I'm rusre I will post some questions here later. but first things first:

How would I power it? The documentation says 14-20VAC or 18-24VDC, Will the Road-rage do the job? And allso, can anyone explain why there are 2 power-pads on the neovibe-board?

jkokura

Because this isn't a Madbean project, I've moved you from the Tech Help department to the open discussion forum.

The road rage is capable of giving you 18-24V DC, but at a limited mA output. Using an LT1054 would give you approximately 18V at approximately 100mA.

About the two pads, since I don't know much about the NeoVibe project it's very hard to answer your question. Perhaps you should post some links to the project documents. Depending on where the project is from this may not be the best place to be asking about it simply because we will likely be unfamiliar.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Sigesmundninja

Thank you.

yeah I've read somewhere that a univibe-clones has high current draw. Here the link to the documentation:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/neovibeupdate.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

look at the bottom right corner of the picture on page 8 for the two power-pads. All so, just to the left of the two pads there is a Diode Bridge(?), when I google-search pictures of neovibe-builds I see some build that uses two resistors where the Diode Bridge should be. Since I never used a Diode Bridge, I don't know what it does, so can someone explain what the diode bridge has to do with the "power-in"?

ncdb07

I have been studying this project off and on as I would like to build it in the future. If I understand correctly it is an either or situation meaning you can pick whichever you want to supply it with, AC or DC voltage.

Also  I believe the diode bridge means that you do not ground the power jack otherwise you would short the entire circuit having either no sound or letting the magic smoke out.

If I am wrong please correct me!

ncdb07
ncdb07
Daniel

jkokura

Yes, that specific spot is meant for an AC cord, which has + and - leads and a ground as well. Like the plugs you plug into your wall - three prongs. That's why there's two spots.

There's also a spot for 15V DC, which is probably what you should be using unless you know how to properly work with mains voltage.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Fastocker

I just finished a Neovibe -- tough build and a bit of a learning curve to really dial in the lush throb . . . but well worth it once you get it tuned.

Build it just as the diagram shows and you can use either an AC transformer or a DC adaptor.  My advise is to buy a 24VDC adaptor that can put out 200mA and use that for the Neovibe.  I've tried an 18VAC transformer that gave a good deep effect but was somewhat noisy; then I tried an 18VDC adaptor that provided quiet power but the effect lost a bit of the throb/depth.  Finally went with a 24VDC adaptor and that was it -- dead quiet and a lush, deep effect.  BTW . . . there's tons of info on powering the Neovibe over on the DIYSB forum.
Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe