News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wonky drilling or too picky?

Started by mcallisterra, December 08, 2014, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I ordered a pre-drilled 125B (I shall withhold from where for the moment) and when it arrived, the first thing I noticed was the kind of wonky drilling. Would you guys consider this to be 'good-enough' for a pre-drilled enclosure, in which case I'm being too picky, or does it look a bit of a mess to you also?

bcalla

I wouldn't be happy with that.  One reason for paying someone else to drill for you is accuracy.

pickdropper

Quote from: bcalla on December 08, 2014, 01:43:05 PM
I wouldn't be happy with that.  One reason for paying someone else to drill for you is accuracy.

QFT.  That looks bad.  I expect that somebody who offers drilling as a service like that should at least be able to do it as well as I can.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Quote from: bcalla on December 08, 2014, 01:43:05 PM

+1
You have cause to complain.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mcallisterra

Thanks for the input guys, glad it's not just me.

I sent an email about it on Friday and haven't heard back yet. We'll see what they say.

stevie1556

Far too wonky, even I can do better then that, and that's saying something!

midwayfair

Of course, before you complain, check your template and make sure they were aligned.

mcallisterra

Quote from: midwayfair on December 08, 2014, 01:57:58 PM
Of course, before you complain, check your template and make sure they were aligned.

I didn't send a template. It was a stock drill pattern they offered.

sturgeo

Not too picky at all, i wouldn't dream of sending an enclosure out like that.

If you're offering a drilling service you have to have the correct equipment for the job. Manual mill as a minimum IMO.

playpunk

Looks like mammoth.... Not good enough... Not even as good as mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

mcallisterra

Quote from: playpunk on December 08, 2014, 03:28:59 PM

It's actually not from Mammoth. I only ever ordered one Mammoth enclosure (powdercoated) and it was flawless.

pickdropper

Quote from: playpunk on December 08, 2014, 03:28:59 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my guess as well.  I had a very similar issue with something from them.

No matter who it's from, I think it's reasonable for you to ask for a replacement.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mcallisterra

Well I was waiting to see how they handled it before naming names, but in light of the email I just received, I have no problem in saying that this enclosure was from Pedal Parts Plus. In fact, here is the response:

"I'm sorry you weren't pleased with the enclosure.

However, I pulled some stock of that same drill pattern, and met with the drillers for them to show me how "off" they were.  Honestly, after they showed me, I'm a little confused by why you would complain about the drilling on these.  The holes are drilled a little oversized.  That way if there are any minor discrepancies, you can adjust the parts so they will be perfectly lined up.  The discrepancies in that drill template were extremely minor; and were easily made a non issue by adjusting the parts that fit in them.

We have high standards, and we strive to make sure every customer is completely satisfied.  However, perfection isn't easily obtainable; especially on enclosures that were originally designed to be used for electrical purposes inside walls.

I hope you understand I'm not trying to be rude; I'm just trying to be honest.  If the enclosure had a real error; I would have gladly sent another one. However, I don't feel that's the case this time.

If you want to return the enclosure, we will gladly refund your money."

So there you have it. Since aluminum enclosures are supposed to go in walls, and not be guitar pedals, then it doesn't matter how they are drilled, and this is indeed 'good enough'.

This will certainly be the last time I order with them. Glad it was on a bare enclosure and not on one of the fancy powdercoated ones...

stevie1556

That is shocking! Whether the holes are over drilled or not, they should all line up in a reasonably straight line and not in a zig zag pattern.

I used to get my enclosures milled by hand (from a template, more or less the same accuracy of CNC milling) and every single hole was 100%, so why a big pedal parts supplying company can't get a machine shop to do a decent drilling job is beyond me,  especially when they probably do batches of at least 1000 at a time (therefore getting a bulk rate price). Hell, even my drilling template boxes are only about 0.5mm out, but nothing like your box.