Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

hot rod deluxe v peavey classic 30

Started by playpunk, December 22, 2013, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

sp3k

It really depends on the pedals. I've never used a classic 30, but  had a hot rod for my main amp for years, it takes overdrives like a champ, but not all fuzzs sound go on it. It also doesn't like muffs. For muffs you need a really clean amp, and at band levels, the hot rod is not really clean, specially with humbuckers.

PimpMyTone

I think peavey amps in general take pedals better than fender .
Simon

Mike B.

I've played the Classic 30 and the 15" Delta Blues version. Both were workhorses and took pedals pretty nicely. Although, as sp3k mentioned, not every pedal sounds good with every amp - it might be worth taking a few of your regular pedals into your local guitar shop and hearing for yourself.

I have zero experience with the HRDx, but I played one in a guitar shop and wasn't fond of the drive channels. If you're using it as a clean pedal platform, have you considered the Blues Deluxe?

rullywowr

I've had both and currently have the blues deluxe (which is the same as the hot rod basically.).

The dirt channels on the hot rod is atrocious but it makes a great clean platform for pedals. Never liked the classic 30's sound. Kind of boxy, as to be expected with el84. This is just my opinion they are both good amps but I like the fender a bit more.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

hoodoo

I gig with a classic 30, in a covers band, and it takes pedals great. I haven't played a hot rod deluxe, but much prefer the peavey with pedals than a  fender twin that i have. Classic 30 is way loud, and clean enough, in a band situation, and if you get one, the best thing you can do is change that awful blue marvel speaker out. I put a weber in mine and it made a world of difference. :)

jkokura

I've just never liked the format of either amp.

Princeton for the win in my opinion. Or AC15.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

catfud

I own a classic 30, I think the clean channel is fine for using with pedals, and i like the amp's portability, but just stay away from the dirty channel as it's (typically for peavey dirty channels) rubbish. IMO.

jkokura

I should also note, that my Egnater Tweaker 15 is amazing with pedals.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

playpunk

hmmmm. i have also thought about the vht 12/20
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pickdropper

I owned a Classic 30 a number of years ago.  As others have mentioned, the clean channel was nice enough, the dirty channel was lousy.

I've never really warmed up to the Hot Rod Deluxe.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

My $0.02 - best clean pedal platform in a mid price range, go with an H&K tubemeister.  Clean channel is pristine even with the gain dimed, then hit the front end with an OD and you are in heaven.  It's my go to amp for trying out dirt.  Put one of Thomas's Valvetizers in front of it and invest in some earplugs, you're going to be playing for a while.  Dirt channel is nice as well, and if you splurge up to the 36, you get two independent eqs.

Runner up is anything Traynor under 20W.  Tweaker is a nice option as well.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pietro_moog

small amps sound small. everything with el84 and 6v6 will saturate somehow.
i think that generally the best tubes as a clean platform are 6L6, but el34s can be good too.
generally el84s under stress sound very compressed, with no bass. and very dirty.
on the clean side they are chimey, something addictive. but everything depends on the speakers.
the 6v6 sounds clean and fuller at low gain, and like bright-y and fart-y under stress.
a 6v6 based amp, clean, with a BIG speaker (15") is very nice however.

6L6s are the best way. i really like the, but they are difficult to manage in a house. big amps are big pains in the ass.
but if you have the space, and a lack of neighbors, they are worth the ticket.

btw, i have a 10" 6v6s bedroom princeton, and a 50W Soldano/Fender clean with reverb. all built by myself

atreidesheir

The classic 30 drive channel is good too with the post gain high and preamp gain low.  It works it hard, but the sound is good.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

pryde

Here are my pennies:

I suggest investing in an "old" amp that is built solidly with quality parts ( preferably point to point). This isn't a "snob" thing but really more a good suggestion for getting the most out of your dollar and need for great tone.

As an amp tech/repair guy I see ALOT of new production fender, peavey, etc amps with premature failure in different parts of the amp due to cheap circuit board and part construction. It amazes me how incredibly complex these amps are (i.e. bells and whistles) that add no real value and really increase the likelihood of failure. That being said, if you must have either a newer peavey or fender I would choose the Peavey based on their support alone.

There are many great options for solidly built, simple amps that will last damn near forever, sound great with pedals, and hold their value. Consider old Traynors, Sovtek, Silverface Fenders, Ampegs, Alamo, Silvertone, old Gibsons, etc.

They are out there a good prices with a little patience.