News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone tried this wire stripper?

Started by das234, May 28, 2013, 02:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I was shopping for a wire stripper that would do a better job with small gauge wires when I came across this one by Klenk.  Looks pretty slick if it works well.  Anyone have experience with it?

haveyouseenhim

I haven't tried them, but they look great. I may get one. My $3 ones from wal-mart are starting to fail after 3 or 4 years of hard use.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

DutchMF

My dirty mind totally blocked out the 'wire' part when I read the thread title the first time, but after watching the video, I want one! The wire stripper I bought when starting out building is a total piece of crap (you get what you pay for...) so now I strip my wires with a box cutter and the callus on my left thumb..... Not a good combination, which leaves me bleeding at least once a week. Now I'll have to find a place in Holland to buy one!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

das234

I saw it on amazon.com if that helps.  I don't know where else to get one right now.

pickdropper

If you read the Amazon reviews, most of the complaints are from people using smaller wire (over 20 awg).  Everybody else seems to like it.

Since I mostly use 24-26 awg wire in my builds, I'll probably stay with my Stripmaster wire strippers.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

Quote from: DutchMF on May 28, 2013, 03:28:21 PMso now I strip my wires with a box cutter and the callus on my left thumb.....
I'm doing the same, once you get the feel of it (i.e. find the right amount of pressure to remove the insulation without cutting the strands) I find it to be really fast and convenient. Maybe I should try one of those wire strippers, but it always seemed to be an unnecessary expense to me.

jubal81

Just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

BraindeadAudio

Ive got 2 of those 20$ radio shack wire strippers, does 5 at once 22AWG solid core. No complaints as long as you keep adjusting the thumb screw.

dodgechargerfan

I bought that one in the OP as well as the black handled one for a different range of wire gauge.

I find them uncomfortable. The handle grips are square and I find the corners hard on the hands.

It may be due to my small hands. Perhaps larger hands won't find any issues.

BraindeadAudio

Im stripping almost 5000 pieces of wire a week.....you get used to it haha

pickdropper

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on May 29, 2013, 07:15:34 AM

Man, if I stripped that much wire, I'd buy prestripped wire to specific lengths.  It costs more, but would save a ton of time.

Assuming, of course that these are repetitive builds and not one-offs.
Function f(x)

ch1naski

I've found nothing (except manual strippers) that handles 26awg wire. The auto strippers I paid 25 bucks for are useless for anything smaller than about 22.
one louder.

BraindeadAudio

Quote from: pickdropper on May 29, 2013, 01:08:46 PM
Quote from: BraindeadAudio on May 29, 2013, 07:15:34 AM

Man, if I stripped that much wire, I'd buy prestripped wire to specific lengths.  It costs more, but would save a ton of time.

Assuming, of course that these are repetitive builds and not one-offs.

Ya its commercial biuld. My grip on my right hand can break bones from using this thing so much haha

pickdropper

Quote from: ch1naski on May 29, 2013, 01:54:23 PM
I've found nothing (except manual strippers) that handles 26awg wire. The auto strippers I paid 25 bucks for are useless for anything smaller than about 22.

The Stripmasters I have will do 16-26 awg.  I use them all the time for that size wire.  They aren't the best out there, but I've generally been happy with them.

We have ones at work that will do 30 awg, but I haven't bought one of those yet.
Function f(x)