News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Like the look of this Pure Tone jack

Started by jubal81, July 27, 2017, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Saw this in P. McKinght Namm video. Pure Tone jack with multiple contacts. Looks like it takes up even less space than the mini Lumbergs, too. Downside is they're $4.29 each.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

kgull

Huh. That seems so obvious. Suprised it hasn't been done before.

Not entirely convinced about the improved signal, anti-crackle stuff. Usually, signal loss is caused by oxidation and I don't see how this setup prevents that.

Definitely want to try one out though, seems like it would hold a cable in super secure.

somnif

How difficult is it to insert/remove? I have some jacks I got... somewhere (can't recall exactly) that take a staggering amount of force to remove the plug. Literally, pulling it out made me lose my footing and stagger back.

I appreciate a firm hold, but don't need to death grip the thing is all I'm saying.

midwayfair

$4.29 isn't ridiculous since switchcraft are $2.39 each anyway.

But I have to agree that its increased utility is debatable. A switchcraft jack is highly unlikely to stop making good contact unless you regularly plug in different sized cables into it. You're far more likely to have the side come unscrewed because there wasn't a star washer, or have the metal oxidize.

Cheaper jacks tend to be lousy from the start, either just very poor metal, bad shaping, or whatever.

madbean

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

It's probably my contrary nature, but I'm inclined to go "So what?" and actively avoid it, just due to the name. "Pure Tone".

Reminds me too much of bottles of water claiming to be "Pure Springwater" or some nonsense.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Quote from: alanp on July 28, 2017, 02:25:14 AM
It's probably my contrary nature, but I'm inclined to go "So what?" and actively avoid it, just due to the name. "Pure Tone".

Reminds me too much of bottles of water claiming to be "Pure Springwater" or some nonsense.

Same here. The 'improve yur tone' marketing is awful. Mostly I like the size of this thing. I've had a few builds lately where I had to move caps around or angle jacks to avoid contact.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

davent

I don't believe their listed dimensions at all - .5x.5x.5  inches, a plug is 1" from the base to the indented ring of the tip, or on a jack from the outer edge of the bushing to the hot contact point. Look at the overhead picture, the width  of phenolic ring around the hole for the plug is only slightly narrower then the 1/4" hole and the the contacts stick out even farther. The side by side image shows the same size plug and two jacks the same size.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

A connector like that really relies on a proper deflection of the spring.  Making the metal thicker *may* actually be worse if it takes a set over time.

That said, the ground tab does look like a nice improvement and it's entirely possible that the springs are an improvement over the original Switchcraft style sockets.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

In any case, I've got a simple solution to the problem of jacks not making firm contact with plugs.

Don't buy cheap, shitty jacks. Get Neutrik or Switchcraft jacks. Job done. No need to pay for marketing jizz then.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Betty Wont

Or use open stereo jacks for more contact.

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on July 28, 2017, 08:42:19 PM
In any case, I've got a simple solution to the problem of jacks not making firm contact with plugs.

Don't buy cheap, shitty jacks. Get Neutrik or Switchcraft jacks. Job done. No need to pay for marketing jizz then.

I actually think the open Neutriks aren't very good, either.  Certainly not as good as Switchcraft.  I like their closed jacks, however.  The Amphonol closed jacks are good too, plus they are inexpensive and have a barb that digs into the case, ensuring a decent ground connection.
Function f(x)

Leevibe

I'm intrigued by the compact size for sure. That price is crazy though.

pickdropper

Function f(x)