Zero Point SDX, help needed: Why the delay distorts when strumming loud?

Started by Teddy, July 27, 2013, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Your sound samples sound right. I'm not sure what you're expecting out of the PT2399 delay chips, but I don't hear anything abnormal there, and they're always going to have some noise at longer delay settings, and it's going to sound cruddy in some filter settings because the bandwidth is larger than the chips are made to handle.

Also, I mentioned that you can measure the voltage at pin 7 on the PT2399s while playing. If you're seeing anything around 2v or higher, your pickups are probably just overdriving the chips. I don't see that you did this. If you're using humbuckers or even higher output single coils (like ceramic pickups in some Fenders), you can easily overdrive the PT2399, and no amount of debugging or swapping chips is going to do anything about the fact that your signal is exceeding the power rails that the chip runs on.

Finally, just a note about some netiquette: you're waiting less than an hour sometimes before bumping your thread, sometimes adding more information and double and triple posting. This has made it very hard to follow your debugging and has cluttered things up. It would also help if you followed the template in the Tech Help Rules thread and very clearly laid out all the information in one place for everyone. We don't have the circuit in hand and you're spoonfeeding us vital information only when pressed for it. The Rules Thread specifies what is needed to help debug for a reason.

Teddy

Hello!

I've been too enthusiastic about this build,
sorry for posting too much.