News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ribbon Wire source

Started by jkokura, September 13, 2012, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hey guys and galls.

So I want to get some Ribbon Wire, and I'm wondering about where you get yours. I've learned a little bit about what I want, and what I don't want. Essentially, I want 24 awg, at 2.54mm pitch (.1" pitch). Colour doesn't matter, but I would like to be able to get strips of 4 and 6 out of it, so it's got to be at least 6 pieces wide, and 12/24 is a perfect number.

Help me out? Ebay is turning out to have nothing but 1.2mm pitch stuff, or stuff that's already made into IDC cables.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Om_Audio

Smallbear has some rainbow 14 strand stuff
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

jubal81

The smallbear ribbon wire is pretty flimsy imho. I've ended up having to rewire things pretty often. My new plan is to just use shrink tube to make my own "ribbon" wire.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Om_Audio

greyscales

I don't recommend the Smallbear ribbon. It's just a little too thin and difficult to work with.
Grind Customs was selling some if I remember correctly.

jkokura

I was looking at that stuff, and the price per foot seemed high to me, but is that what I should be expecting to pay?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

I like the Amphenol Spectra-Strip stuff from Mouser, but the stuff I use us 1.27mm spacing, which is obviously not what you are looking for.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

atreidesheir

Has anyone had luck in this?  madbean uses some decent looking stuff in his baby board pdf.  What was that?  maybe what we need?
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

DutchMF

It seems that Mouser only has the 24awg, 2.54mm stuff on 100ft spools.... Maybe a groupbuy?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Is that pre-bonded? I've been trying to find some 24awg pre-ponded ribbon ever since I pulled some out of an 80's Sony Hi-Fi. Amazing stuff. Can't find it anywhere though. It's this: Hitachi STYLE 2468 24AWG VW-1 LL39630 80C 300V. I can find Japanese PDFs, but nothing else really. It would be ideal for pedals. No tinning neccessary. Used it here:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

Quote from: juansolo on December 02, 2012, 09:57:37 AM
Is that pre-bonded? I've been trying to find some 24awg pre-ponded ribbon ever since I pulled some out of an 80's Sony Hi-Fi. Amazing stuff. Can't find it anywhere though. It's this: Hitachi STYLE 2468 24AWG VW-1 LL39630 80C 300V. I can find Japanese PDFs, but nothing else really. It would be ideal for pedals. No tinning neccessary. Used it here:

Juan, I can't remember if it was pre-bonded or not, and now I'm suffering from a bad case of Mouseritis (can't find it anymore....  >:()..... Anyway, as a dutchman I love that cable (dutch flag!) and demand you send any leftovers my way!  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

lol all gone sadly. Would happily grab a reel of that stuff and group buy it if we could find a supplier though.

Om_Audio

Juan, are those trimmers on those pots? Curious.
C

juansolo

They're the shafts. They're these pots that we used to use on Klone and larger posh builds. Citec 20mm jobbies. Interestingly our supplier doesn't seem to stock them any more. Shame, they were really nice pots.

nzCdog

I just use the 16ply stuff from my local electronics supply store... it's not bad, but bonded would be awesomer