Blond & Oxblood
16 (55.2%)
None more Black
4 (13.8%)
Wine & Black
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

juansolo

I'm making a kit amp and the only bit I can't do, mainly as I lack any sort of workshop/tools rather than the inclination, is the cab. Now I know the cab I'm going for, indeed the first two pictures are of the actual cabs that the bloke who'll be making it has done for others, but I cannot decide on the finish:

I'll be fitting vintage fender white knobs so it'll be the full blonde look if I go that way. Making option 1 the traditional choice.

Option 2 is simply to match my other kit, which is black.

Finally I just really like the burgundy and black (you'll have to imagine the grille cloth is black) cabs I've seen.

Throw a vote in, help me decide.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

I sense an impending Double Six build...

Have you ordered the kit yet?

I've voted Blonde; its always looked cool as hell to me.

juansolo

Yep, it's ordered and paid for (due to be sent out on the 20th), a pair of Winged C Svetlana 6L6s (really not cheap these days!) and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 is sat in front of me and the white knobs are on the way.

Just the cab to sort and it all to assemble ;)

sam_c

blonde for me too.

hmmm,  if Barry is back up and running I may look into the 36w kit again

DutchMF

I've voted for the None More Black, which lloks the best in my humble opinion...... Also nicely tied the percentages between blond and black  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pryde

I like blondes...so blonde it is  ;)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Even ignoring my own votes (just to see the poll), I've run this here and on BKP and Blonde appears to be the winner. Which is cool as I was leaning that way anyhow.

Now to throw a spanner in the works. I've picked up a nice pair of 10" speakers also. So... head+cab or combo?

Pro's as I see it: Separate enclosures means no valve rattle/microphonics and a bit more flexibility. It'd also allow me to have a cab made that has removable panel to be either open or closed back.

Cons: Cost and luggability mainly. It will be significantly more money for the H&C. Luggability comes down to two boxes instead of one. Weight isn't really going to be an issue as the speakers are Alnico and surprisingly light.

Also, I really like the style of this (which is the sort of thing I'd be going for in a combo:

sam_c

I would disagree on the lugability.  Seperate head and cab is the way i would go for transporting as you have more options when stuffing them into a car boot, instead of one large box.

Plus, if you ever decide to go with different drivers you dont have to butcher the combo to make them fit.  Just make a new cab and sell the old one in one piece.

hoodoo

Hey mate,
They all look great, but,
Blonde all the way, and leave the options open, head and cab, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 or 10's if that's what floats your boat.
Take it easy, Matt.