News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Super Collectable Gold Klones!

Started by juansolo, December 21, 2013, 07:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on December 23, 2013, 10:49:01 PM
I wonder if Coles could do a white glitter powder coat? That'd be AWESOME!

PPP has a sparkle white, so I would assume he likely can.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on December 23, 2013, 09:05:30 PM
Quote from: pickdropper
I think it's great.

You also need to change 1 cap with the same value but 600v rated.  Don't give any information associated with the change.  Just wait for interesting theories to be presented as to why you did that.

LOL, definitely.

+2
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Jabulani Jonny

Aww man, these look great and I absolutely promise that I didn't see this post prior to building the Aion Refractor klone.  I was even thinking about a design incorporating unicorns and rainbows for the next one...doh. I love the new design! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jonathan

juansolo

Bizarrely I was going to put brown Fender amp knobs on them too! Great minds think alike ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jabulani Jonny

Hey Juan,
Can I ask a couple questions about your klone builds?  I hope so.  I notice you use Carbon Comp resistors in a few spots.  Can you elaborate on which values you use those for and your thoughts behind it?  Also, which clipping diodes are you using in these? 

Thanks!
Jonathan

juansolo

They're not carbons, they'll be 5% or whatever they are rather than 1%. No reason other than they're cheaper and the tolerances tend to be really good anyhow.

Diodes are 1N34As with a forward voltage of 260-290mV. We get those from Tayda, but we still meter them all.

The only other change we make to the standard build is the tone cap (C15) which we use an 8n2 rather than a 3n9. When we back-to-backed ours with a friends gold Klon, we found it a little lacking in the (haunting) mids. That swap made them indistinguishable to the point that while he was playing I was switching pedal and he didn't know which one he was playing :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jabulani Jonny

Now that's interesting on the diode voltage. I thought I read where Klon diodes typically measured around .35 Fv. I used 1N695's in my recent build which measured around .365 each and played it against a Centaur and honestly could not tell a difference.

It would be interesting to see the differences, if any, between Rej's layout and Aion's. I'm looking at buying 5 of Rej's right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 23, 2014, 12:44:43 PM
Now that's interesting on the diode voltage. I thought I read where Klon diodes typically measured around .35 Fv. I used 1N695's in my recent build which measured around .365 each and played it against a Centaur and honestly could not tell a difference.

It would be interesting to see the differences, if any, between Rej's layout and Aion's. I'm looking at buying 5 of Rej's right now.

The diodes in the klone are really not the most important to look at for me.. to get all of the unicorn tears... i've probably tried every possible diodes i could find to test in my reference klone, that have been A/B'd with a Silver one...  My conclusion is that anything with FwdV between 200 and 350 will get you a sound that is so similar that you might not remember why you liked one more than another.....that's just my interpretation, none of us hear the same way. But i use either 1N34A or 1N270, but i always match them.

Speaking of wich, i got a get a Refraktor from Aion, is layout is plain badass!  8)

But if you compare, schem to schem, they sould be the exact same thing.

If they sound different, it's because tolerances of the components for each build will have piled up if build exactly the same.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Jabulani Jonny

That's good info. Thanks for chiming in. I socketed in my build so I'm going to try 3 or 4 more sets; BAT 41, BAT 46, 1N34A, 1N270 and some OA1160's.

Jonathan