News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipper Ship!

Started by Jakes Dad, December 17, 2017, 12:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes Dad

Jon Patton's Clipper Ship on one of the new-ish Osh Park boards.  The Germanium transistor is a 2N1304 with an hfe of about 75.  Diodes are a pair of D9Es and another unknown Russian.  Originally planned to put this in a 1590A but mis-drilled my last box so I temporarily put it in a 1590B from another project that was disappointing.  This one is not disappointing!  I'll clean this one up, label it and redo the clear coat sometime down the road.

Here's the box:

And the guts:

Chuck

Andlord

Nice design. How does this one sound?

Boba7

Nice and original!

Quote from: Andlord on December 17, 2017, 01:03:39 PM
Nice design. How does this one sound?

Same thing, I'd love to hear more about its sound.

Jakes Dad

Jon has an excellent demo on his site - https://jonpattonmusic.com/things-i-make/.  My gear is different and my style much heavier and clunkier than Jon's.

I messed with mine for about 45 minutes with my home built telecaster (Duncan Broadcaster set with 4-way switch) and stratocaster (Duncan SSL4s in the neck and middle, SSL5 in the bridge and Torres mid control) through a rather ratty looking Champ clone pushing a 10" Vox Bulldog.  With the Gain at 9 o'clock the Clipper Ship provides some nice boost with just a touch of warm grit (less with the tele than the strat), at 3 o'clock it gives a boat load of nice warm grit similar to my Madbean EggHead but a bit warmer and a touch smoother - more transparent than a Tubescreamer.  The hFE of my Germanium transistor is a little high if my meter is accurate and the diodes weren't tested - but they seem to work well.  Most of the transistor based boost/overdrives I've built have some noise just sitting there powered on - this one is dead quiet.

Chuck

midwayfair

Great! I can mark this one verified :)

I like the splashy box.