News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean clean boost switch

Started by calculatedkaos, June 09, 2017, 05:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calculatedkaos

I'm mocking up a Green Bean build and I was wondering if instead of an on-off-on switch, can I wire up an on-on switch for sym/asym clipping but also install another foot switch to bypass the clipping circuit altogether for a clean boost?  This way I can have the OD set up how I want but then have the option to just click on a clean boost without having to flip a toggle switch.  I was just thinking that seeing as I am already building it I could wire it up this way as opposed to needing a separate boost pedal.

jimilee

But why wouldn't you want build build another pedal??  You could put a boost in the same enclosure along with an order switcher to get more crunchy or a clean boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

calculatedkaos

Yeah I could do that. I was just thinking the fewer pedals in my chain the better off I'd be.

jimilee

Quote from: calculatedkaos on June 09, 2017, 06:44:18 PM
Yeah I could do that. I was just thinking the fewer pedals in my chain the better off I'd be.
Yeah, it was a bad joke. But you can put 2 small circuits in a 125 B, though it's be tight with an order switcher too. If you were to use an on on on switch where you switch diodes, the middle would be a lift position, that may do what you want.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

calculatedkaos

Yeah that'll do exactly what I need but I'd like a stomp switch to take place of the middle position of the switch. For example, left might be symmetrical clipping, right would be asymmetrical clipping and then have a stomp that bypasses the clipping diodes for clean boost instead of using the center position of a toggle.

jimilee

Quote from: calculatedkaos on June 09, 2017, 09:32:06 PM
Yeah that'll do exactly what I need but I'd like a stomp switch to take place of the middle position of the switch. For example, left might be symmetrical clipping, right would be asymmetrical clipping and then have a stomp that bypasses the clipping diodes for clean boost instead of using the center position of a toggle.
I'd have to diagram it out in my head and maybe some one else here can do it better. It can be done, logistically it's gonna take some work involving a 3pdt and that on / on switch.

Boba7

Quote from: jimilee on June 09, 2017, 10:09:17 PM
I'd have to diagram it out in my head and maybe some one else here can do it better. It can be done, logistically it's gonna take some work involving a 3pdt and that on / on switch.

Yeah definitely, I was just thinking the same, I feel lazy right now, if I have some time this weekend and you didn't do it, I'll try to do it.
But it's quite easy calculatedkaos, you should try it! :) The 3pdt will just allow the on/on switch to be in or out of the loop (and one row is used for the led)

calculatedkaos

Is it that simple?  I'll have to give it a try.  I'll have to try to mock it up with some alligator clips or something.

jimilee

Quote from: Boba7 on June 09, 2017, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: jimilee on June 09, 2017, 10:09:17 PM

Yeah definitely, I was just thinking the same, I feel lazy right now, if I have some time this weekend and you didn't do it, I'll try to do it.
But it's quite easy calculatedkaos, you should try it! :) The 3pdt will just allow the on/on switch to be in or out of the loop (and one row is used for the led)

Yep, I just was going to look at the entry and exit point and what kind of room was available.
Quote from: calculatedkaos on June 10, 2017, 02:14:06 AM
Is it that simple?  I'll have to give it a try.  I'll have to try to mock it up with some alligator clips or something.
Yep, it's just that easy.

calculatedkaos

OK, I admit it, I am not great at this stuff.  While I have made a few pedals this may be a little ambitious.  Here is the Green Bean schematic:

Where would the stomp switch hook in?