News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vox in a Box?

Started by pryde, July 28, 2012, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Are there any decent projects (from Madbean or other options) that do the AC30 top boost sound? I have vero layouts for:

Wampler Cranked AC
Catalinbread CB30
Lovepedal English Gent
ROG English Channel

Anybody have opinions on these? How about other options for DIY? Thanks for your thoughts

jtn191

I haven't tried any but here's some if you like vero:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search?q=vox
Hipkitty Oxblood Distortion = AC15
ROG English Channel

jkokura

I have had an etched Matchbox and English Channel on my desk, waiting to be built, for nearly two years. I haven't gotten to them. I originally thought I'd build both, pick the one I like the best, than drop it in a box with a Tiny Giant power amp and have a great little 'voxy' practice amp. I'm looking for a good cab to build it into, maybe with a 8 or 10" speaker.

Could be a cool project, I'd probably drop one of my headphone amps in there too for silent practicing, but I'm not sure if it would all work out...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

There's a layout for the Carl Martin AC Tone over at FSB.  I built that a while back.  Sounds good, but I get a high pitched whine on mine that I never solved ???

pryde

Quote from: slimtriggers on July 28, 2012, 07:14:22 PM
There's a layout for the Carl Martin AC Tone over at FSB.  I built that a while back.  Sounds good, but I get a high pitched whine on mine that I never solved ???

Many people seam to like the CM AC-Tone. did you build one with a charge pump or actual transformer? I read through a thread on FSB and it seamed there were a lot of problems with the layouts? I might stay away from this one.

To bad madbean couldn't tackle the carl martin ac-tone and make it a "user friendly" project like the plexitone (boneyard)  ;)

mgwhit

Check out the Guitar PCB V6 Overdrive.  It's supposed to do the cranked Box thing.

pryde

Quote from: jkokura on July 28, 2012, 06:45:42 PM
I have had an etched Matchbox and English Channel on my desk, waiting to be built, for nearly two years. I haven't gotten to them. I originally thought I'd build both, pick the one I like the best, than drop it in a box with a Tiny Giant power amp and have a great little 'voxy' practice amp. I'm looking for a good cab to build it into, maybe with a 8 or 10" speaker.

Could be a cool project, I'd probably drop one of my headphone amps in there too for silent practicing, but I'm not sure if it would all work out...

Jacob

Sounds like a cool project. Someone posted an idea awhile back about making the Vox Amplug into a pedal project. It might be cool. I own a AC30 Amplug for silent practice and it really does have a convincing cranked ac sound, at least through headphones.

slimtriggers

Quote from: pryde on July 28, 2012, 09:04:38 PM
Quote from: slimtriggers on July 28, 2012, 07:14:22 PM

Many people seam to like the CM AC-Tone. did you build one with a charge pump or actual transformer? I read through a thread on FSB and it seamed there were a lot of problems with the layouts? I might stay away from this one.

To bad madbean couldn't tackle the carl martin ac-tone and make it a "user friendly" project like the plexitone (boneyard)  ;)

Yeah, I did the charge pump one.  I tried multiple chips, I tried 150pF across pins 1 and 8, nothing solved it.  I kinda left it in a clump of wires and forgot about it.  I really liked the overdrive sound of it, but the whine ruined it for me.  It might be worth taking another crack at it-leaving off the charge pump section.  Maybe I'll try to power it with a Road Rage instead.

jubal81

I'm blown away by the demos of the new Catalinbread Galileo. It's supposed to be a CB30 with a tuned Naga Viper.

It hasn't been traced yet on FSB, but here's the thread:
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18562
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pryde

Thanks jubal

I have been tuned in to that thread. I got vero layouts for the CB30 and naga viper so that may be an option once the mods have been figured out.

I also may try building the englsih gent as it is pretty low parts count jsut to see what its about.

atreidesheir

It would be really hard to go wrong with either the ROG English Channel or Matchbox.  They both get into that Foo Fighter territory really well.  THe Matchbox will be smoother.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gordo

I've had the Cranked AC on my board for the better part of a few years and it's one of my goto pedals along with the MB King of Tone.  There's nice boards at http://www.toneclonepedals.com/Tone_Clone_Website/Voks_Boks.html.  Put a Karate Shop in front of it and it will be as subtle or squirrelly as you want.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?