News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Schematics, Best place to find?

Started by hoodoo, June 24, 2013, 08:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

G'day to all, Matt here. I've decided to jump in and give eagle a go, with the help of Jakob's great tutorial. I have been looking at various places for schematics, but would like to hear from those in the know, the best places to find verified schematics, because alot of the one's i've come across are not the originals. Big learning curve for me, time to stop painting by numbers, and any advice appreciated, thanks, Matt.

T_MBaker

This may (or may not) sound a bit silly, but the schematics found in project files are a good source of verified schematics, especially if your main focus is learning. So check out Madbean's discontinued files or General Guitar Gadgets project files, stuff like that.

RobA

I just do a web search each time. I try to find a couple of versions of the schematic I'm looking for if I can. After that, if I have questions about the accuracy, I tried to find photos of the internals to see if I can match up the parts in question.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

croquet hoop

Quote from: hoodoo on June 24, 2013, 08:03:42 AMthe best places to find verified schematics, because alot of the one's i've come across are not the originals.

For classic effects (808, Muff...) it's quite easy to find reliable sources for the original schematic. Just in case, I often get schematics from two or three different places to check them against each other, and compare them to the Madbean version as well. If I find any discrepancy, I search again to understand why it's been done this way, etc. It's a good way to learn more about popular mods and pedal electronics in general.

For less common effects, I usually search for build reports of pedals based on the schematic(s) I found, if possible with a video demo. It's not a big deal if it's not the original, in this case it's much more important to be certain that it works and to know how it sounds.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Google image search and then filter the results by "Black and White" images only! Works pretty well.

jkokura

Quote from: madbean on June 24, 2013, 03:51:16 PM
Google image search and then filter the results by "Black and White" images only! Works pretty well.

Awesome tip is awesome.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Quote from: RobA on June 24, 2013, 12:17:11 PM
I just do a web search each time. I try to find a couple of versions of the schematic I'm looking for if I can. After that, if I have questions about the accuracy, I tried to find photos of the internals to see if I can match up the parts in question.

This! If you find schematics from different sources that match up, and then compare them to some gut shots to verify, you're pretty much good to go.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

I think this is kind of a weird question on some level. For the most part, it's possible to tell just by looking at a schematic if it 'works' on some level. If you're asking whether a schematic of a well-known effect is reliable, then your best source is the designer when possible or the tracer. Most of the time this makes a handful of forums the place to head. If it's a traced design, there will be plenty of discussion about the circuit, and some guys who trace a lot of pedals (Dirk Hendrik, for example) post a lot of schematics on their page.

I guess the main point of my post is ... Trust the source and your own common sense. Most people aren't going to release a bogus schematic, or claim something is verified when they haven't built it. (And -- guilty as charged -- some of us admittedly shouldn't use 'verified' if SOMEONE ELSE hasn't built it.)

atreidesheir

Was I the only person who did NOT know THIS?!?!
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Scruffie

Quote from: atreidesheir on June 25, 2013, 12:33:26 AM
Nope, didn't even know it was an option!
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on June 25, 2013, 01:48:32 AM
Nope, didn't even know it was an option!
I'm even worse. I kinda knew it was there because I've done filtering by image size before and I can remember seeing it. I just wasn't smart enough to think of using it.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

hoodoo

Thanks very much for the advice, google images is a great tip and the kind of guidance i was looking for, thanks Brian. Jon, i appreciate your response and advice, and i'm sure that you can look at a schematic and tell if a circuit will work, however, i'm at the dumber end of electronics knowledge at present and schematics are like a foreign language to me, which is the reason for this post. However, i'm keen to learn. I have perused the various forums and they are a wealth of information, but i thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask the question and see what others had to say. Thanks again, Matt.

madbean

Someone mentioned this option on DIYSB. I wish I could remember who it was.

davent

^For one, Joe Gagan did.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?