News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

“Husky boy” builds…

Started by greysun, April 07, 2023, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greysun

Hey all! I did some builds - more to come, but here's a couple of "husky boy" pedals. Why in quotes? WELL...

I'll start with this: they sound SO GOOD! It feels more like amp distortion than my overdrives - amplifies my guitar's tone, but doesn't affect it like overdrives can. I wired the bass/treble in reverse so it felt more natural turning them up or down - call me old fashioned, hehe.

The long version: I wasn't 100% happy with my overdrives. I had A LOT of excess parts and a bunch of etching materials, so I was going to etch a single-sided version of the husky boy and put it into a 1590b. The madbean board would've required some small parts orders, which I was trying to avoid.

By the time I got finished designing the board, I had decided to use a Gorva 1590a and had JLC manufacture the boards - I just didn't wanna deal with etching when JLC is not expensive and can do multi-layer PCBs (no jumpers!).

The Gorva 1590a is fantastic... If you're in 1590a pedals, hehe... I hate making pedals in 1590a enclosures for varied reasons, mainly it's just too tight on space. The Gorva 1590a is about as tall as a 1590b, slightly wider and slightly longer than a 1590a, and the bottom is seamless with the mounting screw holes only at the bottom, so there's more room everywhere inside. As I try to use up my weirder parts (like the giant caps), I was able to use those and normal parts. I was also able to use a mixture of 16mm and 9mm pots to use up some stock there.

The j201s are SMDs on small adapter boards - not pretty, but do the job - I hope I never have to deal with SMD ever again, but j201s are just not around anymore.

Recommended build (but buy it from Brian - his is cleaner, hehe. I'll be shooting some dollars to his PayPal in the coming days for the excellent doc and schematic, tho).

jimilee

Very nice. I like the size of the enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator