News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Husky Boy 18v question, re: C10 (10uf) cap...

Started by greysun, April 17, 2023, 12:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greysun

Hi everyone!

I built a husky boy - but one of the 10uf caps (c10) was a tant cap with 16v rating (realized after the fact it was only 16v - I just wanted to use up my supply of tants).

When running on a 9v supply, I measured with a multimeter the voltage for that cap, which was around 4.2ish.

Would it be safe to run this on 18v given that particular cap is only running at half the volts, or is there something that happens on power-up or down or whatever that might make it risky?

Really, I just have (2) unused 18v outs on my MXR power supply, and I need an extra supply and there aren't any other pedals I can use on them, hehe...

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

madbean

There's no harm in running at 18v with a tantulum there since it is half supply. However, tants are expensive and should be saved for situations where they are needed. Electros cost next to nothing! Just my 2 cents.

greysun

Quote from: madbean on April 17, 2023, 04:22:00 AM
There's no harm in running at 18v with a tantulum there since it is half supply. However, tants are expensive and should be saved for situations where they are needed. Electros cost next to nothing! Just my 2 cents.
Good advice! I think I'd used up all my 10u caps and didn't think I'd be making another order for a while at the time. I could always swap it out, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there.

Thank you for the reply, as always - this is the best forum!