Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering iron Basetech 99 any good?

Started by Gledison, February 12, 2014, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys,
im getting annoyed with my soldering iron. Mine tip is to large :P
Im far away of using for professional reasons and just want something that i can use for my pedal building basics.
anyone knows if this iron is ok? i liked the price :P
thanks in advance
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basetech-ZD-99-Compact-Soldering-Station/dp/B003A6B27Q
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

GermanCdn

Did you try the LTR one from Banzai we talked about?  It's dirt cheap, does a really good job, and has tip life forever.  If I could successfully get it to work off of a transformer here, I'd never have bought my Hakko.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 12, 2014, 11:02:11 PM
Did you try the LTR one from Banzai we talked about?  It's dirt cheap, does a really good job, and has tip life forever.  If I could successfully get it to work off of a transformer here, I'd never have bought my Hakko.
Curtis!!!! man, i was trying to find the post were we discussed but i couldnt find it :S
damn it, i've just ordered some stuff from Banzai last week. ive tried to find on Banzai this LTR but its not there....
the one from Conrad i mentioned is a little station where its possible to regulate the temperature. The iron tip is quite thin what i liked. Do you think that is to crap? for me is easy to get over Conrad...

GermanCdn

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Soldering-Iron-LKR-50.html

Sorry, LKR, not LTR.  Buy it.  You won't regret it.  Then go to Obi and pick up their 1mm solder.  Next time I'm in Deutschland I'm going to buy a couple of kilos of that stuff.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 12, 2014, 11:14:21 PM

Sorry, LKR, not LTR.  Buy it.  You won't regret it.  Then go to Obi and pick up their 1mm solder.  Next time I'm in Deutschland I'm going to buy a couple of kilos of that stuff.
haha, you are an Obi fan...
what is so special in the Obi solder? if you want i can get some and send it to you...let me know...
cheers

GermanCdn

I find that it makes the nicest joints of any of the solder I've used, it never sticks to the tip, and overall outperforms anything else I've tried.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably be back in Germany in March, I'll pick some up then.

jkokura

Basetech is pretty much like Blastech, which is the company that makes Blasters for the Star Wars Galaxy, so it's gotta be a good iron.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Gledison

Quote from: jkokura on February 13, 2014, 12:38:59 AM
Basetech is pretty much like Blastech, which is the company that makes Blasters for the Star Wars Galaxy, so it's gotta be a good iron.

Jacob
Thanks
Very helpful! :P

DutchMF

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 12, 2014, 11:14:21 PM

I had one of those, and while it is a nice iron and works really well, mine just stopped getting hot (which is, like, the core function of a soldering iron) one day. Plugged it in, nothing happened!  >:(

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

muddyfox

Yeah, that happens to me often.
But more often than not, it turns out I plugged something in an extension cord that's plugged into another extension cord and that one has a switch that's turned off. Usually the whole enchilada is buried underneath a pile of other cords that makes visual detection of the switch state completely impossible. That, and an entire settlement of dust bunnies.

DutchMF

Quote from: muddyfox on February 13, 2014, 11:42:50 AM
Yeah, that happens to me often.
But more often than not, it turns out I plugged something in an extension cord that's plugged into another extension cord and that one has a switch that's turned off. Usually the whole enchilada is buried underneath a pile of other cords that makes visual detection of the switch state completely impossible. That, and an entire settlement of dust bunnies.

Mine was plugged into a wall socket that normally holds the cord for the washing machine, so I was sure it had juice. It was just kaput, all of a sudden. And when the dust bunnies start talking to you, it's time to break out the vacuum cleaner.....  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

teknoman2